www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-writing attached javascript for Accessibility

Re-writing attached javascript for Accessibility

No message
    Last edited by 508; 12-05-2006 at 09:45 AM.

I wouldn't recommend using a no-right click script anyway, any n00b can disable javascript or edit the page using a simple editor like frontpage and steal your images from there.
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

I know. But it does not matter. Company management wants this script and in accessible format.

Disabling the right click is probably against 508!

There is no code that is going to be able to disable the right click without JavaScript so there is no way to have it in accessible format.

Tell your company if they do not want stuff taken, do not put it on the web!

Eric
    Tech Author [Ajax In Action, JavaScript: Visual Blueprint] | twitter | linkedin | http://www.pascarello.com

No message
    Last edited by 508; 12-05-2006 at 09:44 AM.

You do not have to change your font, I can read and oull out important information. I do read reqs. documents all the time!

Your company is asking you to do the impossible. You can not have script when script is disabled! So that means NOSCRIPT only shows TEXT. Hence why you see text.

So what would I tell my boss: "Um, it is impossible to do this on the web sir. The only way we could control our enviornmnet is to develop a client application instead. Since that is not our goal, and if you want the site to be 508 compliant, we should not have the right click on the page in the first place. If you are worried that images and text will be stolen, the files already reside on the user's computer since when we view a web page they are downloaded to our temp folder. So I can go there and view it with no problem. So to round this up, sorry we can not destroy the user's experience on our site if they have JavaScript disabled."

If you are trying to protect images, best you can do is this: http://www.thesitewizard.com/webdesi...etoolbar.shtml, but it is a waste of time.

If your boss still does not believe you, I would find a new job.

Eric
    Tech Author [Ajax In Action, JavaScript: Visual Blueprint] | twitter | linkedin | http://www.pascarello.com

To set up a no right click script that meets accessibility guidelines. Here is the easiest way (all other ways are much harder).

Step one: catch three and a half flying pigs.
    Step two: feed one of the flying pigs to a dragon.

The dragon will then tell you the rest of the process you need to follow in return for the other two and a half flying pigs.

If instead you are actually trying to protect images on the web page then the prosess is much easier.
    1. Take a copy of the image to modify for use on the internet.
    2. Reduce the image to the exact size you want to use on the web page.
    3. Add a watermark into the image itself advising copright or domain name.
    4. Reduce the quality of the image as far as you can so as to make the image unusable anywhere except on the web.
    5. Substitute that version for the original.

Now you have copies of the images on the web that advertise which site they belong to and which are poor enough quality that any attempt to remove the watermark should make the quality too low even for web use.
    Stephen

1. I do not know anything about watermarking images.

2. Can either you give a resonable substitue issue that can meet our goals before I remove the script?

3. I have seen a javscript on several government websites and none of them have the text displayed or the gray text box displayed.

4. I do know that U.S. Government website are required by law to comply with 508. How are they using the script tag without displaying a gray text box or displaying the noscript tag/text?

How can the meta tag at http://www.thesitewizard.com/webdesi...etoolbar.shtml disallow "all" images on my website?

The noscript is no meant to put code in it. Not sure if you got that through your head. The noscript is meant to give a non JavaScript solution or you tell the user that features are not there without JavaScript.

Your site is not going to run any different without this script. If they do not want the images taken, do not put them online. Search google for watermarking images.

Eric

The NOSCRIPT element allows authors to provide alternate content when a script is not executed. The content of a NOSCRIPT element should only be rendered by a script-aware user agent in the following cases:

* The user agent is configured not to evaluate scripts.
    * The user agent doesn't support a scripting language invoked by a SCRIPT element earlier in the document.

User agents that do not support client-side scripts must render this element's contents.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/....html#h-18.3.1

Before I start, I want to make an wise attempt at using the meta tag for non scripting images. The question I am asking is how can I use it do disable all images?

The template website you gave me indicated how to disable one image.

I have more than one image I want to at least try for this scenario

Sincerely,

I have a new question. What would happen if I used an empty noscript tag?

Same thing if you used an empty span tag or an empty body tag. Nothing would show up since there is nothing to display.

Eric

Would it satisfy section 508 and the company since there is a noscript tag, but nothing to show?

Thread Information