dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which programming language should I use for dynamic web pages?

If you knock it without saying why it sucks except "It's from Microsoft", then, yes, I assume you haven't, since you're blatantly against microsoft. Sorry, but... Not everybody can learn Linux, Unix, or Mac.

If he's just starting out with programming and scripting, JS would be easier on him, and a good introduction to programming concepts. He can branch out where he chooses from there.
    Share on Google+

you're blatantly against microsoft.
    Nope. Just against bad software.
    Not everybody can learn Linux, Unix, or Mac.
    Not everybody can learn Windows either.
    If he's just starting out with programming and scripting, JS would be easier on him, and a good introduction to programming concepts.
    For web programming, it's not a bad start which is what I said earlier.

The problem with C# and .NET is you must use Windows, a more powerful computer perhaps, and some will say you need to buy Visual Studio. Then you have bought into the whole MS world which is incompatible, in many ways, with everything else.

Go with Unix/BSD/Linux and you you have free tools that are easier to understand and use, available everywhere, especially on the most used servers and operating systems on the web. Documentation is freely available and standard, or at least very similar, across all these lines and have been stable for many years. MS seems to change their methods yearly, it seems.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    Nope. Just against bad software.
    Not everybody can learn Windows either.
    For web programming, it's not a bad start which is what I said earlier.

The problem with C# and .NET is you must use Windows, a more powerful computer perhaps, and some will say you need to buy Visual Studio. Then you have bought into the whole MS world which is incompatible, in many ways, with everything else.

Go with Unix/BSD/Linux and you you have free tools that are easier to understand and use, available everywhere, especially on the most used servers and operating systems on the web. Documentation is freely available and standard, or at least very similar, across all these lines and have been stable for many years. MS seems to change their methods yearly, it seems.
    I agree, the fact that you have to use windows with .NET kinda sucks, but I've seen what .NET can do. I've seen a comparison of the code block to open a new window in C++, and the one in C#. The one in C# is at most half the size of the C++ code... It's much more efficient from what I've seen

You're biased. Not all of Microsoft's software and programming is bad...
    Even if you think that of all of their new developments, at least look back to DOS... I've used DOS, and I've used Linux. I've never had any problems whatsoever with either. I did manage to lock up a live cd version of Linux once, but that was it...

Windows is simpler than Linux... You don't have to use appGet in Windows.
    I'll say that it's more stable, but... Let's just quit arguing pointlessly, before somebody bans us for being so far off topic... It doesn't matter what you use, as long as it gets the job done.
    Share on Google+

You're biased. Not all of Microsoft's software and programming is bad...
    We're only talking about .NET but you can include their browsers in that.
    Windows is simpler than Linux
    Oh? Try to run windows on a floppy or CD. Programming wise, I'd rather use Linux. Infintely easier.
    The one in C# is at most half the size of the C++ code... It's much more efficient from what I've seen
    But C# is interpreted just like Java. Yes, eventually it gets compiled but it won't run as well as native code.

Now here I'll say something good about a MS creation. C# is a good language. But it's almost a copy of Java and you can't use it everywhere. I can use other languages everywhere so I wouldn't limit myself by using C#.

Ok, half of this is OT, I'm done.
    Share on Google+

But C# is interpreted just like Java. Yes, eventually it gets compiled but it won't run as well as native code.
    I believe both eventually run as native code unless you specifically tell the bytecode compilers not to do that. But we all digress to the point that this thread is probably doing the OP no good at all. It would be nice if he would chime in with anything on which he might need deobfuscation.
    Share on Google+

In reply to multiple posts...

I didn't start the off-topic discussion, now did I? I just put my knowledge into it...
    Linux is fine, until it locks up at the console and somebody who doesn't know the commands has to reformat and reinstall from it when they don't have a book or another machine on the internet...

Yes, threadstarter. Talk to us. I'm fully prepared to give you every bit of knowledge I have. I'd kinda like to know what you've decided, if you've decided.

Would've been alot easier for you had this thread not gone off topic in the first place...
    Share on Google+

It didn't go that far off because we were talking languages advantages/disadvantages.
    Linux is fine, until it locks up at the console and somebody who doesn't know the commands has to reformat and reinstall from it when they don't have a book or another machine on the internet...
    Windows is fine, until it locks up and somebody who doesn't know the commands has to reformat and reinstall from it when they don't have a book or another machine on the internet...
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    It didn't go that far off because we were talking languages advantages/disadvantages.
    No, the topic here is completely off from the original inquiry. Take to the computer forum. The thread is closed as it has lost its focus.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information