www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Auto form submission/search

Auto form submission/search

Hey, I'm pretty new to Javascript, just using a little bit of it where I need to in order to solve problems. I do data management, and my group is stuck using Paradox (like Access, but in the Corel WP Office suite instead, for anyone unfamiliar) instead of something more modern. Anyway, I have a server-side Paradox program that generates HTML on the fly and sends it to the client. The client puts data into the web form and submits it back to the server, which processes the request and responds, etc etc. I need some Javascript that will run as soon as the page is sent from the server to the client (I'll probably trigger it with onload). What it needs to do is this:

-Put a value into some form on a remote page (i.e. go to Google, put "crabcakes" into the search field) and submit it.
    -On the resulting page, retrieve the value in a specific field, and store it in a field of "hidden" type in a form in the client page. That value will then be returned to the server (me) when the client submits the form.

Is something like this even possible? I can split it up into more than one step if need be, I just don't know how to go about automatically submitting things like search criteria into another website. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if all that is possible. In your google example you could return a form to the user which mimics the search form on Google and have the page automatically submit. But, then the real problem comes up. The user will then be presented with a google page with the search results. There is no way, that I can think, of to have those results returned back to the server because you have no control over the content that is returned to the user.

I don't know anythng about your server environment, but that is where you would need to do the call to the third part page to have the results sent back to you.

not possible using javascript. as mjdamato said, u can easily auto-submit to google. problem is in parsing the results -- that would be cross-site scripting -- a big security no-no for JavaScript.

This is not difficult server side however. I'm not familiar enough with Paradox to know what programming capabilites it has (for example ms access can do it), but many languages are up to the task. the general idea is the user submits the form to YOUR site, you then create a server-side http request to google and parse the response, then deliver to your web page. post back if that doesnt make sense or u need syntax help.

cheers

edit by the way... LostInParadox...great moniker. been a while since someone's name made me smile all by itself. not since the 1st time i saw the BearMay's name in hex!
    Last edited by russell; 12-01-2006 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks a lot for the responses, guys. As best as I can tell, Paradox can't do what I'm talking about. If I could just make Javascript auto-submit a value to a remote site, and then display the resulting page to the client, that should suffice.

Suggestions on the syntax to do something like that? Specifically: When the server sends the page to the client, the script - pasted into the page, triggered by onload - will put a value into a specific field into a remote site (not Google, but it might as well be Google, for sake of argument and confidentiality), and display the results for the client in a new browser window.

And, edit: Thanks on the moniker, sometimes I do really feel lost in - or at least antagonized by - this DB program
    Last edited by LostInParadox; 12-04-2006 at 11:49 AM.

Go the the 3rd party site's regular form/submit page and view the source to see all the form fields. You will need to recreate the form in the page you pass to your user and populate the fields as you want them to be submitted. Then simply create an onload trigger to submit the form.

Thread Information