www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Email Spam Problem

Email Spam Problem

I have a database of opt-in and opt-out emails from prospective clients. I am having a problem with my html bulk emails getting put into spam filters.

How I know this is a problem
    I set up a generic free yahoo account with out any of the additional filters on there and tried sending one html email using the mail() function in PHP from my server. This ended up in the bulk folder. If this is happening with Yahoo I am fairly confident it will happen with AOL, Comcast and some of the other big providers.

Is there a resource that will explain why or how to avoid this? My database is legitimate clients that opted in for the information so I am not attempting to spam them. I just would like to send them the information they requested without having it put into the trash/bulk folder.

They will need to whitelist your sending address to get the emails to go to their inbox instead of the bulk/junk/spam folder. It has to be done on their end as there is nothing you can do on your end or the spammers would be doing it as well.
    Stephen

I recently tried sending a simple email through the php mail function and it still did it. Is is the php mail() function that causes this. When I send a simple message through my regular email it doesn't go to bulk. Any ideas on this would be great. Thanks

White listing is one way but I would try one or two other things first.

Firstly are you sending all the necessary headers and are they correct? For example include a message id. Many generic mail hosts require this to be over a certain number of characters long. My mail id is a nine letter character alpha numeric followed by my web address. This address in turn corresponds to the email address I have sent the message from. According to RFC standards the you must set a from address. Some mail servers will require you to set a from field both in the headers and as a flag:
    PHP Code:
    mail(tosubjectmessageheaders'-fexample@example.com'
    note their are no spaces after the -f

I include the following headers in all my mail, in the following order:

PHP Code:
    'From: example@example.com'.eol.
    'Reply-to: example@example.com'.eol//change if required different to from address
    'Date: date(r)'.eol//date using r format
    'Organisation: Company name'.eol.
    'Message-ID: <9characterstring@ethical-cotton.co.uk>'.eol.
    'X-Mailer: whatever you call your hand made mailer'.eol.
    'X-Priority: 3 (normal)';
    //You can add additional headers such as MIME hear 
    Sending from a mail server that is not blacklisted and following the above you should be succesful.

If you are on shared hosting it is possible that your hosts mail server has been blacklisted.

Hope that helps, if you need more help, just say.

Thanks for the info. I do send headers but I haven't sent those. I tried it and it still didn't work. I do have a shared server so I guess I need to find out if this is blacklisted. Any ideas on how to find this out for sure?

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Information