www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help inserting SSI into existing table heavy pages

resolved [RESOLVED] Help inserting SSI into existing table heavy pages

Viewers might recall that I was haunting this forum with questions concerning pop out menus recently. Well, am happy to advise that I have those working to my satisfaction and now have only to get them blessed by my partner who has been away for 3 weeks.

Now I have another problem which is how do I proceed from here. I have made a template and have spent hours copying the material from the former "xxxx.htm" pages into "xxxxx.shtml" pages. This is a very time consuming project as I have well over a thousand pages in all.

One thing is that the new pages have a "layout.css" file controlling part of the page however I have been just copying the bulk of the page (with tables and all the mistakes) into the contents block of the new page. The result is that I end up with menu I want but still the site is and will be filled with crap pages until I can slowly add new pages using css layout and <div>s (table free, hopefully).

I have tried inserting the "<!--#include virtual="../CSS_Folder/menuv.txt"--> into the existing pages in place of the present nav table which has made with tables but this results in the page going completely wonky.

An example of the new page is http://www.allaboutmarmaris.com/Deni...nt_Index.shtml

A page with the old style nav table is:
    http://www.allaboutmarmaris.com/Deni...rant_Index.htm

I would really really appreciate some help and advice as to what I should do to get the new SSI code into the existing pages without copying and pasting as I have done so far.

Is there any simple code that could be inserted in the existing that would result in something similiar to the new style page shown above.

Please note that I know relatively little about coding so please keep it simple and clear.

I would like to suggest to any one younger then I that they start with the basics and work forward. My way of working backwards has been a nightmare.

I think this is the correct place but please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if I am wrong.

Best regards to all

Jack

You might check this problems pointed out by Firebug.
    Code:
    Unknown property 'Field'. Declaration dropped.
    Form.css (line 2)
    Expected declaration but found '<'. Skipped to next declaration.
    layout.css (line 23)
    Expected end of value for property but found ':'. Error in parsing value for property 'font-family'. Declaration dropped.
    layout.css (line 67)
    Unknown property 'behavior'. Declaration dropped.
    Deniz_Cafe_Restau... (line 60)
    Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
    menuv.css (line 28)
    Expected declaration but found 'url'. Skipped to next declaration.
    menuv.css (line 53)
    Expected end of value for property but found 'background'. Error in parsing value for property 'color'. Declaration dropped.
    menuv.css (line 59)
    Expected declaration but found 'url'. Skipped to next declaration.
    menuv.css (line 59)
    Unexpected end of file while searching for ';' or '}' to end declaration. Unexpected end of file while searching for closing } of declaration block.
    menuv.css (line 104)

Thanks Ray 326, I have checked and corrected a few of the changes but the changes to menuv.css messed everything up and I just don't have time now to resolve this as the menu works which is my main concern at the moment. That and finding some way to incorporate it into the hundreds of pages prepared with Front Page using table within tables etc etc.

Working backwards as I have done is bound to create such a mess but if it works I will have to leave it for now.

Cheers and thanks for your comments.

Jack

Good morning:

It has been suggested that the menu file had an unclosed comment :

This :
    <!--[if IE]><style type="text/css" media="screen">body{behavior:url(/Ccss/csshover.htc);}</style>

Should be this:
    <!--[if IE]><style type="text/css" media="screen">body{behavior:url(/css/csshover.htc);}</style><![endif]-->

I have corrected this and the page now opens correctly althought some symbols "" now shows above the menu in some browsers but I have seen this before and got rid of it but don't remember how.

Cheers

Jack

I believe that has to do with serving the page up as unicode.

Thread Information