www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: how does youtube work, and how can i copy their format

how does youtube work, and how can i copy their format

Okay, i have a small myspace type site for my city in south africa. It has become quite popular and i will not expand. by popular demand everyone wants me to add a videos module a la myspace and youtube so they can upload and stream their videos. Now the question is how the hell do i do it? where do i start and is there a set script for all this. and most importantly how does it actually work.

my site is asp.net, ajax, sql server 2005, win server. Actually i am trying to help the web development company who are a bit backwards here, and i'm learning as i go along.

I'd appreciate a step by step procedure of all this on where to start or simply a link to a site that tells me everything on how i can copy the way youtube and myspace videos work.

Well youtube provides the code you need to place a single video on your site but I have a feeling you want to allow users to upload their own video files and then play them. What you want done isn't a walk in the park and it can take some time to do. A step by step procedure is out of the question. Here is the basic method though.

1. Allow user to upload video.
    2. Convert video to .flv format.
    3. Use dynamic urls to play the .flv file in a prebuilt flash video player

Good luck. Seems like you may be taking on more than you can chew.
    If you can't handle the job then don't take the job or ask for help on it if you are getting paid for it.
    Web Developer's Handbook.::.Why Tables for Layout is Stupid?.::.Why I won't help you

Well I don't know if I want to do it, i was just seeing if it was possible. Many people in the community keep bugging me to add it. I have tried resisting to expand the site, but it will be too much for me, i'm still in school. And you are right, i do want people to upload their own videos and play them. So basically your three step guide seems to be straight forward.

Now the question is where do i start so I can try and get this going before i head back to school. What sites or programmes do i need? Thanks for your help thus far.

Well like I said you will need Flash 8 to create the flv player. Then you will need to find out how to convert the videos uploaded by users from their current format to .flv format using ASP. So again I don't think you understand how much work is involved.
    If you can't handle the job then don't take the job or ask for help on it if you are getting paid for it.
    Web Developer's Handbook.::.Why Tables for Layout is Stupid?.::.Why I won't help you

you can use vidflash.com
    or ask geovid developers how to do that, thay have lots of products for that.

yeah i am making a site that will let people upload their own videos too like youtube but i have no idea where to start. im using microsoft frontpage.. will that let me do this?

Similar Situation

I'm up to a similar task working as a consultant with my state. I'm attempting to create a system where certain staff members can upload state related videos to our server which automatically converts the files to an .flv format which will possibly use this $250 system service (still looking for less expensive software). The portion of the project that's become quite tedious for a half-witted programmer like myself is creating the dynamic display of each uploaded video on the actual video page. I decided the best place to start was from a well made photo gallery tutorial. I found a nice one here.

From this, I suppose I'll just try to reformulate things to work with flash files instead of jpegs. If I'm still not heading in the right direction, the programming knowledge will definitely come in handy when it comes to the possibility of coding it completely different anyhow. (I'll hopefully understand the basis of how uploads and their dynamic links are produced with php).

Any other links to flv player source and their associated server scripts would be greatly appreciated!
    [[ Impact Web Media and Print Design | TheWebRockstar.com ]]

The alternative would be to try to intergrate google video or youtube or watever into your site. Then it is much cheaper, much less work and google pays for your bandwidth. The trade off is it wont be as glamorous or easy for your users but it could be close.

Maybe this flv encoder sdk can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by gooogle
    can help you.
    its only a command line converter. the server will not accept it, as i can see from the description.

Video To FLV converter

I have bought the converter at Flashsyndrome and it is well worth it. I couldn't find anything else that would do the job conversion job automatically like youtube does,but for Windows Server. So if you are on linux, too bad, otherwise you got your solution

Hope this helps!

I'd be very interested in links to how people have implemented this

hot scripts has a ton of pre designed scripts - search youtube

http://www.hotscripts.com

Quote Originally Posted by joeytrouble View Post
    Okay, i have a small myspace type site for my city in south africa. It has become quite popular and i will not expand. by popular demand everyone wants me to add a videos module a la myspace and youtube so they can upload and stream their videos. Now the question is how the hell do i do it? where do i start and is there a set script for all this. and most importantly how does it actually work.

my site is asp.net, ajax, sql server 2005, win server. Actually i am trying to help the web development company who are a bit backwards here, and i'm learning as i go along.

I'd appreciate a step by step procedure of all this on where to start or simply a link to a site that tells me everything on how i can copy the way youtube and myspace videos work.

hello friend,
    you don't need to upload videos and convert them into flash files. because it is a very ong process and you need lot of space to do that , and a very fast server, which u can't afford.
    the simplest way to add videos on ur site is to just ,,, ask ur users to upload videos on youtube and then provide u a link.
    i mean to say that, make a format with asp.net on ur webpage and ask users to--
    1. upload there videos on youtube .
    ( youtube provides embed source code for each of its video.)
    2. then copy that embed link on ur webpage on ur site.
    3. and u just make possible to add that link with predefined size automatically on ur site.

in this way u'll be able to manage as many videos as u want .

BEST OF LUCK .
    MAY THIS HELP U.

Thread Information