www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] "This domain has been registered for 10 years"

resolved [RESOLVED] "This domain has been registered for 10 years"

When selling domain names, I often see comments about how long the domain has been registered, as if that's something to be hugely proud of. Assuming there isn't a web site for sale too, what's the advantage of having registered a domain for multiple years?

Dave

Ususally, next time Google visits the website it will see that the domain has been registered for that period of time, obviously a domain registered yesterday doesn't have the credability that one for ten years would have. You also then won't be sandboxed my Google therefore your website will be instantly crawled and cashed in Google rather than having to wait several weeks/months.

The time the domain has existed is one of the facters that most search engines take into account in determining rankings (possibly a minor one but often there are only minor differences between two pages in the rankings anyway).
    Stephen

Interesting. Thanks guys.

Dave

some search engines give domains which are registered for 10 years bonus points, as they're unlikely to disappear in a few months, and are 'in it for the long haul'
    Last edited by mergemedia; 01-19-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Where I live, people get shot. I need to move.
    Quote Originally Posted by bathurst_guy
    Ususally, next time Google visits the website it will see that the domain has been registered for that period of time, obviously a domain registered yesterday doesn't have the credability that one for ten years would have. You also then won't be sandboxed my Google therefore your website will be instantly crawled and cashed in Google rather than having to wait several weeks/months.
    Careful, people often register a domain name because they only want the email access, I have worked for 3 companys that all did that and they were not intreseted in using any web space they had.

Other people register domains because its their name or has some meaning to the individual, I have several domain names that I dont use, some are extra names that I got when regestering them, I intend to use them at some point in the future but IM in no rush, so any referencing showing that I have been requstered for a number of years on some of my domains is pointless.
    If life gives you a hard knock once in a while, your lucky. All I keep getting is a savage beating... everyday!
    AJAX! - Javascript Sha1 & MD5 - ASCII tables - Zend DevZone - My Space
    Stop Badware - Create "TEXT FILE" in Javascript - . - wikipedia on PHP -

It isn't how long you have had the domain name but how long that it has been listed in search engines that matters. Search engines give higher rankings to sites they have known about for ten years than they do to the one you set up yesterday with a domain you have owned for eleven years.
    Stephen

Thread Information