www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: vector color image/logo needs to be vector B&W for a print process: how?

Exclamation vector color image/logo needs to be vector B&W for a print process: how?

I have a color logo for a client which we've been using on her site. I think that it was created in Illustrator (wasn't created by myself).
    The site owner wants to use this logo for business cards/labels, and the printer she contracted is telling me that they cannot use "colored" images for this process, -it needs to be in black & white. It MUST be in *pdf (what is the image format there, -"*wmf" I think??). The printer says that using the colored image is a 'four color process' and that they do not support that. It needs to be in black & white.

How do I change this vector image & text logo into a vector black & white? Merely changing to "colorized" isn't the same as changing to "black and white", apparently. Using PhotoShop or PaintPro seems to have the deletarious effect of rasterizing the image, which they cannot use due to the loss of edge strength and pixelation. There may be more issue to it than just this, but the printer was quite explicit in telling me that PhotoShop/PaintPro cannot be used for this conversion...

Also at my disposal are the vector programs "Inkscape" and "The GIMP" but I am not too experienced with either of these yet. Can anyone give me some insight as to the procedure to convert this color vector image into a black&white vector image while maintaining the current (or compatible) format? Cannot use PhotoShop/PaintPro (according to printers). Or maybe some helpful person would volunteer to convert this for me, -I could upload the image here if it is a supported format and someone is willing to do this for me. But I would also like to know a bit more about the requirement and procedure as to what I am doing, too.
    Thanks,
    -Joel
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

To change the colour of a vector image in the GIMP is straight forward enough. I don't know off the top of my head which image formats the GIMP supports and you may need Ghostwriter installed to create PDFs with the GIMP. Basically open your image in the GIMP select the vector elements you wish to change and select the colour you require from the colour pallete. Save file as PDF for your printer and for ease of use as an EPS for possible use elsewhere. (EPS - electronic postscipt - is used as a standard file format across multiple platforms ie is the ultimate "compatible" format).

However, you will need the image in a supported file format and as a vector graphic first (ie illustrator, quark, PDF, EPS there are probably more but they're are the standards used by printers in the UK).

To be perfectly honest if your file is a vector image and of a standard format it would take two minutes for the printers to change the colours to shades of grey.

What is a vector graphic? Think of it as a potentially curved line that can expand or contract in relation to a whole without degrading in "quality".

Four colour process in printing is where all colours are printable and are achieved by combining C-cyan, M-magenta, Y-yellow, and K-I don't know but it's black. Black and white printing is really grey shade printing.

If the image is in the following formats (PDF, AI, EPS) I can make the necessary adjustments, however, if it is available to you as a PDF already you can make the changes very simply with the GIMP (a fantastic program by the way).

Hope that's some help.

I will attempt to make the stated changes myself, -but you won't hurt or insult my feelings if you can do this for me using the *pdf I am attaching here. The printer more-or-less had told me that they would convert the image to B&W, -now they are requesting that I provide them the B&W version..
    I only started using The GIMP a few days ago , and while having used Inkscape for maybe a few weeks, my total time spent with it is frightenly little. -Graphics is just not my forte.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by WebJoel; 01-06-2007 at 09:49 AM.

I thik we have a winner! A "B&W" logo/text that is *wmf and preserved in the native *pdf document... so, sending it to the printer with all my hopes!

Thread Information