www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Maybe an old browser problem?

Maybe an old browser problem?

Just started working on this site www.nicholasbeazley.org and got the front page good enough to show the people it's for. They really liked it so far (I personally think the colors are horrible, but their choice) but a day later I hear that the buttons appear in the text when some of them look at the site from home.

I can't seem to duplicate the error, but I also currently don't have anything to check in ie browsers older than version 7 (my son "helped" me by getting rid of some old stuff I didn't need any more). Can anyone see what's wrong?

Also, the site is far from finished. Many pictures to add so I haven't really done much in the way of formatting it yet. The ugly image in the upper left will be replaced when the new logo is done. Any suggestions for improving the site would be welcomed.
    Jon

Code:
    #header {
    	height: auto !important; height: 125px;
    	min-height: 125px;
    	background-color:#f93;
    	color:#630;
    	margin:0;
    	padding:0;
    	}
    Last edited by Fang; 01-10-2007 at 07:47 AM.
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

don't have anything to check in ie browsers older than version 7
    Browser Archive

Thanks for the link, I was wondering how much work it was going to be to get things back.
    Jon

I put the bit in that Fang gave me, but I'm at my day job and still can't see it in an old browser. Any chance someone could look and make sure it looks right? I'm betting they call me here at work to see if it's fixed before I get home, even though I've told them not to. Thanks for the help.
    Jon

Looks as if the links box has moved to the right about 200px... it was about 25px from the left side of screen last night... (just a guess about distances)
    See screenshot.
    Looks the same in IE6.0 and firefox 2.0.0.1.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

That looks like what they were claiming it did before. I looked at it in ie7 and fx2.0.0.1 and thought it looked ok. I wonder what's up. I suppose it's back to the drawing board later tonight. Any ideas?
    Jon

I've already given the solution...
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Thanks for making me look again Fang. I uploaded the change about 2 hours ago, but now it's gone. Maybe I got in a hurry and only did it on the localhost or accidentally clicked on the wrong file to upload. I'll post again when I get it uploaded for sure. Thanks again.
    Jon

Fang's code is the fix for IE6, however it still breaks in FF when font size is reduced. This is due to the total height of floated #headerleft div being 2px more than minimum height set for #header (89px + 2x1px border + 2x18px margin = 127px). So if you change css to
    Code:
    #header {
    	height: auto !important; height: 127px;
    	min-height: 127px;
    	background-color:#f93;
    	color:#630;
    	margin:0;
    	padding:0;
    	}
    it should work.

Actually, if the graphic had the border outline as part of the graphic, and it was used as background for #header div, then #headerleft would not be needed at all (and this problem would not have existed).

Cheers
    Graeme

Thanks again. Take a look at it now. The changes are for sure uploaded now. Still not sure what happened earlier.
    Jon

Hey that looks nice. Looks the same in IE and Fx too. No errors or warnings either... I think you've got it.
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

Thank you so much for all the help. I haven't checked any of the interior pages yet. The formatting looks horrible on some of them, but I'm waiting for them to give me what I hear will be 4 boxes of historical photos to add. Not knowing what I'll have to work with, I've just thrown the text out there for now.

Thanks again.
    Jon

Thread Information