www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: simple graphics program

simple graphics program

Hi all. Can anyone suggest a simple graphics program that I could use under Linux to create a site banner with please. I've looked at GIMP, but that's probably overkill for what I want to do. I just want to create some 'metalic looking' text on a plain black background, maybe with some additional color added to the background.

TIA

Honestly I would use the GIMP. The only other graphics programs I've used on Linux have been a little to much like "Paint" and wouldn't have the guts to make your metal text. GIMP is a stellar program, here's a link to a good brushed metal text tutorial / forum thread: http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/topic/...ext-483-1.html
    My Site
    Web Design On Linux: Sure It Takes Longer To Get It Right In IE, But Who Really Cares?

Thanks for that link PineSolPirate. I'll take a look at it and get back to you later.

I would use gimpshop, but only because I learnt in and use photoshop.

Get the gimp here:
    www.gimp.org

Get gimpshop here
    www.gimpshop.net

Thanks for that tip nitrexoxide. I have decided to take the plunge and go all out for the GIMP.

I have purchased Akkana Peck's excellent book, Beginning GIMP - from Novice to Professional. It is a brilliant book - 500 pages packed with excellent coloured illustrations.

Here is a link to the authors site:

http://www.gimpbook.com/

If you have the dosh to spare and want to master the GIMP, then this book is the answer to your prayers - I know it's the answer to mine for a decent up-to-date book on the GIMP.

From what I've read so far, a layer is just like an OHP transparency. As you build up an image on the OHP projector using several OHP transparencies, you can do the same with layers in the GIMP. You just overlay different parts of an image using transparent layers, until you have the finished image. Then you can save it to file as one complete picture.

Happy Gimping

There are online banner generators too: http://cooltext.com/

KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Thanks for that KDLA. I still need to master GIMP so I can be proficient in designing and editing images though. I'll check out the link soon. Getting to grip with the GIMP is one of those things I have been putting off for a long time, mainly cause I could not find a decent tutorial. Now with this book I have a fighting chance of mastering image manipulation at last.

Good luck! It is good to see open source gaining momentum finally! Dont worry, you will be a pro in no time

Thread Information