www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: which language to use?

which language to use?

Hi,

I am thinking about deploying a small stand-alone web application, which was have the usual login pages, mySQL connection, dynamic content, etc.

I want to be able to deploy separate instances of this in different folders...i.e.

www.mydomain.com/folder1
    www.mydomain.com/folder2

will each have their own copy of the application, and run independent of each other.

I am trying to determine the best language, with the least amount of startup time, but which will provide for deployment as explained above, and will be fairly scalable.

As I am very well versed with Java (on the desktop application side), that always seems to be an option, and the language is nothing new. But I have also heard Ruby & ROR will be a good fit (although I have yet to learn the language)...can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

if u r already good at java, then i recommend.....java. that said, if u are comfortable with java syntax then C# (.net) and PHP won't have any surprises for you. you'll be fine with any of the three.

so would ruby not be a good option? I am also looking for easiest deployment. I have heard, that with java, you can just create a WAR file, and upload it to the server...although there can be issues with tomcat, as far as when it will recognize the new files.

Does ROR have a similar deployment strategy. Since I plan on having multiple instances of the same application running in different directories, it would be nice to simply a small set of files, rather than a whole bunch of files and directories.

Thanks for the reply...

in that case u may find PHP easiest to manage

Thread Information