dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Newbie needs help!

Newbie needs help!

I have a .gif image that I am using as the background of an absolutely positioned div element.

The trouble is- .gif automatically makes my pretty transparent background white when I save it and I need it to be transparent.

In a wysiwyg editor, often I can select the image and use a 'wand' to tell it which color to hide. Once these images are in my div class, I can no longer select it... infact, even when they are not in the div I cannot select it in my editor to get at the 'wand'....

Can anyone tell me how, with CSS, to make the white fields surrounding my images to disappear?

There has got to be a simple way to do it and I have just missed something.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Amber

Is the white background on the image itself when you save it, or does the white background apply on the page when you insert it as a background?

Haven't tested this, but try

style="background: transparent url(mypic.gif) center no-repeat;"

it sounds more like how youre saving it...you may not be selecting the "transparent" option...which image editor do you use?

Thanks guys!

I think Da Warriah was right-- I was not paying close enough attention to how I was saving it.

Also, it seemed to cooperate better and show correctly once I uploaded it... may just have been a limitation of my wysiwyg editor...

Ah well... always something!

Thank you again for your input.

Amber

Thread Information