www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Membership Database with cookies ?

Unhappy Membership Database with cookies ?

I need a great script thats easy for any lang. like (Html , CSS , JAVAscript , cgi ) that lets you sign up for a membership and once you fill out all the infomation your infomation that you want people to see or only can put will be on another page (AKA profile image , icon , name etc.) and if you want to only wiew yours you can enter a UserName and password that is stored from a cookie to check or updated you profile and i mean by easy by any lang is the best script lang. to use for it i know HTML and a little javascript i am new to CSS and CGI but i don't really want it in CGI mostly JAVAScript if you can do it please tell me or email it to me and if you don't know the script for it can you please tell wheres the best website to get it !!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Kaisa; 12-23-2002 at 06:39 PM.

you're talking about the switch between static and dynamic websites, and by the sounds of it you should be looking at a language like JSP (Java script (or is it server?) pages). Alternatives are ASP (active server pages) which are based around C, and PHP (PHP HTML Pre-processing) which as far as I'm aware is it's own monster. However, just using one of these languages is only the beginning of a wonderful journey..

What you'll then need is a web server that will run these pages and scripts for you and talks to your back end databases to actively generate the content. For that you'll need to check that your web hoster lets you do it, and which ones it will let you do (depending on the server platform they usually allow different things - if it's a win 2k server then JSP and ASP are the way forward, if it's linux or unix then PHP is probably your best bet.) Most hosters let you do this, very very few let you do it for free or for as little as just running html pages.

Then you want to get yourself a good book (anything by Wrox i find is pretty good, even though there are loads of photos of programmers on the frint which is a little off putting) and get yourself a server technology that you can run on your pc - if you have win xp pro then it comes with Micro$oft IIS which is what you need to run ASP's, or you can get stuff like Apache and MY SQL for free of the internet which is what you'll need for PHP.

Hope that helps - if you need any more advice I'd suggest heading over to the ASP forum as they may be more use to you.

Originally posted by jpmoriarty
    you're talking about the switch between static and dynamic websites, and by the sounds of it you should be looking at a language like JSP (Java script (or is it server?) pages). Alternatives are ASP (active server pages) which are based around C, and PHP (PHP HTML Pre-processing) which as far as I'm aware is it's own monster. However, just using one of these languages is only the beginning of a wonderful journey..
    then does that mean JSP means JavaScriptProtocol or JavaScriptServerProtocol and i think hostonce only has a windows 2000 server so my best bet will be JSP and ASP but if heard you right you need a program to view your scripts on my desktop ?
    Last edited by Kaisa; 12-24-2002 at 01:17 PM.

you'll need a web server to view the pages - you can write the scripts in notepad if you wished, but you'd need something to run the scripts on yourself to check that they work (or you can just upload them and test them, but i think you'd have to be pretty confident in your programming abilities to do your testing online). The scripts themselves though can be programmed in any text editor just like html.

There may well be shareware / freeware asp servers out there, but i only know the ones included in win xp pro (asp is a micro$oft technology, so they're probably the best at it).

then does that mean JSP means JavaScriptProtocol or JavaScriptServerProtocol
    No i think it means Java server page, as i said in my post, but I could be wrong.

Thread Information