www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting not to like the FSF

I'm starting not to like the FSF

Hey look someone has made a website telling people not use Vista called "Bad Vista", that's nice of them isn't it? Now who do you suppose made this? A CompSci student wanting to run a project of his own? A very enthusiastic high school kid with too much spare time and access to his parents credit card for domain? A Linux fan group wanting to make their mark on the Internet? No. It's grown ups, organised grown ups, organised influential grown ups. This website is made by the Free Software Foundation.

Is it just me or is that incredibly childish? Last time I checked the FSF were there to promote free software, not moan about non-free. Is attacking restrictive software what we really rely on them for? In what way are users of free-software benefiting from proselytizing others?
    Last edited by the tree; 02-05-2007 at 10:58 AM.

There is always going to be a tendency to bash whoever is on top. Microsoft is on top and there is a large legion of folks who will take every opportunity to bad-mouth 'em.

It is rather childish. Then again, how seriously should we take 'em anyway, when they say "Free software is a matter of liberty not price" ?

Everyone is at liberty to create all the software they want. IBM, Sun, MS, don't deny anyone's right, nor impede anyone's ability to create software. Unless of course you steal their code.

And remember the GNU does not imply "zero cost" and specifically says so.

Any article titled "Why Software Should be Free" isn't even worth reading. If all software were free then we wouldn't have much of it, because the people who make the best software would have to devote their energy to paying jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by BadVista.org
    Organize supporters into effective actions protesting Microsoft's daylight theft of our freedoms
    Maybe I've missed something along the way. Can someone explain to me how Microsoft has stolen anyone's freedom?

They've made me a slave to my PC by making it easy and fun, and I'll not be denied my revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Sarge
    Maybe I've missed something along the way. Can someone explain to me how Microsoft has stolen anyone's freedom?
    By "updating" ones computer to Vista from XP as Microsoft will eventually be encouraging people to do by reducing support for XP, one is adopting a stricter EULA.
    New bits of restriction include not being able to move your copy of the operating system from one machine to the other more than twice, there's also lots of worry about the insistence on Vista reporting back to Microsoft very regularly and this being mandatory.

Odly, I'm currently watching the Daily Show and ol' Bill just walked on, he really isn't being grilled whatsoever. Meh.

Swiftly back on topic, Vista is less free-not-like-beer than XP and the FSF have decided that this is unacceptable. Basically the FSF have been on a proselytizing spree: check out thier threats to "punish" Novel and the proposed changes in response to TiVo's use of Linux. Their agenda has changed from Free Software Is Really Fly to Non-Free Software Is The Devil And We Should Stage Protests As If It Were A Political Issue.

Reducing support for an older product thereby encouraging people to get the "new" product. Hmmmm. Sounds like what the "Big Five" automakers did for decades. Sounds like what almost all products come to just before the end ... lack of support.

And when it comes to free vs purchased ... I try to always remember something my granddaddy taught me when I got my first $ for mowing my first lawn ... "Everything is worth to you exactly what you think it is, and 'free' is usually worth just about what you paid for it."

And when it comes to free vs purchased
    Free is the opposite to non-free, not the opposite to purchased. One can easily purchase free software, or obtain-without-purchase non-free software.

Reducing support isn't always to grab money, Microsoft stopped providing updates for XP users who didn't install the "service packs" to force those who thought it wouldn't matter to install the damn service packs. Free software that offers professional support doesn't support releases that it considers obsolete either. The fact that Microsoft are going to eventually cut support for XP isn't really the issue, the issue that the FSF are getting tetchy about is the license that Microsoft are hoping to get their users to sign.

I am a great fan of free software, it's "worth" using it almost exclusively on my own computer. Incidentally, the rest of the software (of which their really isn't much) on my computer is free-like-beer also. What I'm not a fan of is imposing the free software ideals on other users and developers, as if choosing licences weren't a freedom that they also deserve.

I'll be the first to admit I dislike much of Microsoft, but I have to say I dislike Stallman and the crap that comes spewing forth from him almost as much; perhaps just as much. It's idiots like him that give the sensible minority a bad name. Can't say I've ever thought much of the FSF and their GPL either.

Quote Originally Posted by the tree
    Free is the opposite to non-free, not the opposite to purchased. One can easily purchase free software, or obtain-without-purchase non-free software.
    We playing word semantics today?
    Last edited by The Old Sarge; 02-07-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Yeah! I misspelled it. So what?! :D

We playing word symantics today?
    You mean semantics? No.

An example of Non-Free software that one does not purchase is MSN Messenger. It is gratis but it comes with a license restricting you to using it in a specified way and not modifying it and not reverse engineering it.

You can do all of that with the Red-Hat operating systems but to get it, you have to purchase it, for quite a lot in fact.

The difference is not by any means trivial, the "official" definition of free software is rather fluffy and talks more about "ideals", maybe you should look it up on Wikipedia or such like.
    Last edited by the tree; 02-07-2007 at 12:28 PM.

You mean FREE as in "free as a bird" ...

I mean free as "I got this without paying for it."

One day I thought I had seen every rerun, every remake of an old play script on Tv so, I tossed my Tv through the front window.
    Along came a new toy, a computer. A fun puzzle at first but, there comes a time when every new story seems to be a remake of the same editon of a previous week. Every new forum topic becomes a redo of the same thing covered before, over and over.
    Unless I can offer some fresh new language to pep up the script, we all know it will be destined to get published again from another angle next week.
    I might start training for a marathon and leave my computer behind, what will I miss? (I can guess, nothing)

One day I was walking my dog, when this TV fell from the sky and crushed him. Poor Rover. I may never get over the loss.

Lost our Prozac have we, Justin?

You mean FREE as in "free as a bird" ...

I mean free as "I got this without paying for it."
    Yes, I'm using free in the sense that it most often refers to when you say "Free Software", the typical comparison is "free like free speech" rather than "free like free beer". The problem is that reading the FSF's rants makes me not care about their free speech rights and start to look for free beer.

Justin, if you can't find variety then you aren't looking hard enough.

Thread Information