www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: ASP Forum - break it up

ASP Forum - break it up

How about splitting up the ASP forum into two or even three separate forums? Either have two forums - one for classic ASP and one for ASP.NET, or three forums - one for classic ASP, one for ASP.NET using C#, and one for ASP.NET using VB.NET.

You have to admit that they are remarkable different, and I have seen, on quite a number of occassions, confusion about which version of ASP a person is using once a question has been posted.

asp.net and asp are different things so maybe asp.net people should have their own forum or just post in general for now on since asp.net and asp are completly different. As for the c# thing, how many people here use it? I can only count 5 or 6 of us using asp.net as it is right now.

The questioner merely needs to specify what they are using and the appropriate response will be made.
    I disagree with this, it goes against the basic principle of web design i.e. treat all users as first time users. This is the first thing any professional developer would know.

To include an option list creates several problems:

a. users have to wade through each posting to determine which postings relate to asp.net and which don't (time consuming, and requires more effor from the user).

b. Including an option list means additional targeted coding (the options list itself, specifying the language being used on the message index, and filtering), which in a standard forum like this, the site owners may not have access to/control over.

c. much easier to simply to set up a separate forum with no code alterations.

d. as ASP.NET is definately going to grow in popularity, mixing the forums creates headaches for everyone in the long run.

e. more convienient for all

As for the c# thing, how many people here use it?
    Well as you can only code ASP.NET in C#, VB.NET, or JScript.Net (not recommended), I'm surprised you made that comment.

I'd be interested in a response by the site owners.

Moderator's note: If you can't keep a civil tongue in your mouth, you'll not be able to continue to post here.

mike... asp.net will grow because I dont see any new versions of asp down the road, and as the internet evolves you will get the most functionality out of the latest technology (unless of cource it is css and ie has had a long time and still wont display it properly). Also hobby designers like myself who have other things in their life and cannot devote their full time to web design and cant persue a carreir in it get a lot out of this site and someone who is new to that feild who is not a professional designer would have a lot of problems with that configuration, I know I did when I was starting asp.net

Thread Information