www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: open page in new window

Lightbulb open page in new window

i have one problem. My first page has just a link. When we click this link the login form appears. then once the login is checked then the home page apperars. But everything is in separate pages. What i want is: Once ok is clicked in login form then the logiin form should disappear and the home page should open in the first page or the first page should also close and the home page will open in a new page. i dont know how to do it. can u help me out?

Normally the response is written to the same browser window you submit the form...

What browser do you use for testing?
    Check browser configuration. Some browsers allow you to open every new submition in a new tab/window. If that's the case uncheck the option.
    Finally, check the form tag "target" attribute, it should be absent by default. Same for links, if you use "target" it should be set to "_self".

Lightbulb open page in a new window...

I will explain my problem more clearly. i have a page A where a link is provided for the home page of my system. When i click the link the login box opens. If the username is verified then the page A should close and home page should open. otherwise home page to open in the A window. if i use target how will i target to the A window? if self is given it goes to login window. What else option can i use?

mmm, actually it's better avoid popup windows at all, especially when you submit some data between them IMHO. Try to use a separate login page or a "hidden floating" section containing login and pwd fields that woud appear when you click something. This way you'd use only one window. The reason for this advice is in the fact that different browsers manage browser windows on javascript level in different ways, so it's pretty difficult to create something of that type working correctly not in one of them only. I mean it's not impossible, but sometimes it's better to stick to simplier scheme to make your webapps more independent and flexible.
    Last edited by Xeel; 02-09-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Thread Information