www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: None Web Safe Fonts

None Web Safe Fonts

OK, I have been trolling the web for answers to this issue but I havent found any what seems 'decent' solution.

I am wanting to use none web safe fonts on my web site, just for titles etc, and im pretty sick of having to create a .jpg/.gif file to do it.

There must be a way! Some how maybe linking the font file to be used in CSS and up loading the font file...

I have seen a hashed way of doing it using CSS, Javascript and Flash...But this requires the user to have Flash and Javascript active on their browsers etc which I dont really want to have as a requirement to view the website properly, even though it apparently DOES passed web standards.

Any ideas anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by docpepper
    OK, I have been trolling the web for answers to this issue but I havent found any what seems 'decent' solution.

I am wanting to use none web safe fonts on my web site, just for titles etc, and im pretty sick of having to create a .jpg/.gif file to do it.

There must be a way! Some how maybe linking the font file to be used in CSS and up loading the font file...

I have seen a hashed way of doing it using CSS, Javascript and Flash...But this requires the user to have Flash and Javascript active on their browsers etc which I dont really want to have as a requirement to view the website properly, even though it apparently DOES passed web standards.

Any ideas anyone?
    There are no web safe fonts; it's always a gamble. But don't worry too much about it, you're the only one who cares what fonts you're using. So, specify a cascade of fonts ending with a generic and try using WEFT.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

The only "web safe" fonts are the generic font families like serif, sans-serif, etc. Of course you then don't have any typographic control but that's an illusion on the web anyway.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

There are web safe fonts. Some are less safe than others but you can be assured if you stick with

Verdana & Arial

Times, "Times New Roman"

There's lots of resopurces out there that discuss which ones are safe across platforms.

The WEFT tool is what you are looking for but beware FF will not downlaod the .eot files so make sure you have a list of fonts with your custom font at the start followed by a standard font-family.

Note that there are also a few browsers around that will disregard the entire font statement when you try to link in an external file as they don't recognise it. Those browsers will then display the text using their default font.
    Stephen

By using sIFR, you can use any font you want (if you have a recent version of Adobe/Macromedia Flash).
    Jason Granger's Blog

I'm an inactive member...

That then relies on your visitors bothering to install the flash plugin and many wont do that.
    Stephen

Most already have Flash Plugin installed, the small amount who dont (like 2 or 3 %) can just look at the serif or san-serif.

Yeh my issue is with those 2 - 3 percent tho. thats still a lot, and i have to agree, i dont design any of my websites to have requirements. Just didnt know whether there was a way of having a version of the font live and linking to the file that way...aah well, will give Weft a go and so how that pans out. Cheers all.

Yes but that is just 2-3% of users that don't see the "Pretty" font, they still get to read it, it is just displayed using your stylesheet and other "default" fonts you specify.

Technically that script has no requirements... if one doesn't work it does another - no biggy

Quote Originally Posted by bathurst_guy
    Yes but that is just 2-3% of users that don't see the "Pretty" font, they still get to read it, it is just displayed using your stylesheet and other "default" fonts you specify.

Technically that script has no requirements... if one doesn't work it does another - no biggy
    Which is to say that it "transitions well", the goal for accessible web sites.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    That then relies on your visitors bothering to install the flash plugin and many wont do that.

flash is actually the most common plugin on the web. and you could use java script to detect if they have it installed or not and display a text alternative.

if you use non web safe fonts they browser will just select a font which it feels is close or the default browser font.

If they have Javascript available.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

About 10% don't have Javascript and that comes as part of the web browser.

Those who don't have Flash which needs to be downloaded and installed would be much higher than those who don't have Javascript.

As long as the page displays the content properly and isn't slowed down significantly using Flash to display some specific content is probably the best option even if 20-30% of your visitors end up seeing the content in a different font.
    Stephen

Thread Information