www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Sounds not playing in Firefox or Opera

Sounds not playing in Firefox or Opera

Ok, I've searched high and low and nothing turns up. Not even sure if this client-side but there seems no appropriate forum under server-side anyway. Forgive me if I've missed something obvious. I'm still struggling to catch up with the 21st century.

My site plays sound files (from server) on Media Player when viewed in IE. In FireFox and Opera, instead of playing, the files display as gobbledy-gook code(?) I don't recognize.

I tried to play the existing files in QuickTime but they cause it (QuickTime) to freeze. I assume this is because of the file types (.wma). How do I convert them to something you can play in FF and Opera? Can they be converted? Is there a common file-type that will play in all browsers? Is my assumption off target?

This is where you can play the files. Scroll down to the musical note buttons below the chimes. (Please don't remind me for the thousandth time that my code is messed up or that I should not use tables-based layout. I know all that and am working on it.)

Thanks.
    Last edited by The Old Sarge; 02-09-2007 at 10:42 AM.
    The Old Sarge

Yeah, that is bizarre. I was expecting my Windows Media player to open from a white window.

Whatever file type you choose your visitor will need the appropriate plug-in installed for the sound to play. Many people suf the web either with the sound on their computer turned off or with a music CD in the drive so that they can listen to their favourite music and so get extremely annoyed at sites that try to play sounds without asking them first. Whatever sound file format you use if you link to it with a conventional <a> link then your visitors will know that if they want to listen to the sound that they have to make sure the appropriate plug-in is installed before they click on the link.
    Stephen

Thanks, Felgall. I understand perfectly. The sound files in question only play when the user clicks on the appropriate buttons. They are meant to let the potential buyer hear the chimes before ordering. However, as stated earlier, they do not play at all in Firefox or Opera. There may be other browsers as well, but I have not investigated that far yet.

After initiating this thread, I found some additional info on plugins. And from what I read, and what you're telling me, Firefox will not play the sounds no matter what unless the user has the correct plug-in installed. Is this right? Also, is this the same situation with other browsers, notably Opera? i.e. the user must install a plug-in to hear the sound.

What should I do so that Firefox users do not experience a "freeze" if they click on the links? Simply warn them that without the appropriate plug-in they should not click?

This probably "tells" on my inexperience but I really don't mind. I am inexperienced at such things.
    Last edited by The Old Sarge; 02-09-2007 at 02:18 PM.
    The Old Sarge

You'll need to convert them to mp3 format as this is the most compatible sound type.
    If you can't handle the job then don't take the job or ask for help on it if you are getting paid for it.
    Web Developer's Handbook.::.Why Tables for Layout is Stupid?.::.Why I won't help you

Thanks, Aerospace. Know a good converter that doesn't cost an arm or a leg?
    The Old Sarge

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ (little more user friendly than one below)
    http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/
    Both are free.
    If you can't handle the job then don't take the job or ask for help on it if you are getting paid for it.
    Web Developer's Handbook.::.Why Tables for Layout is Stupid?.::.Why I won't help you

Thank you kindly.
    The Old Sarge

Thread Information