www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Server Side Include Navigation Help Needed

Server Side Include Navigation Help Needed

Hi All,

I am using Server Side Includes for the website I am designing. I am using asp. What I would like to know is if you can affect the navigation (the nav. is a .htm file included in an .asp page) based on the asp page that the user is viewing. What i would like to do is indicate to the user what page they are viewing. I know how to do this utilizing css id's, but i don't know how to do it when the navigation is an included file. Can anybody point me in the correct direction? The site i am very slowly developing is going to be huge, and i want to make this as easy on myself as possible...

I'd appreciate any help at all, especially some direction to good references - online or otherwise.

Thank you!

JdJ

create a session variable on your page before you include the file. In the inculde file you can then retrieve the session variable.

On each page:
    Session("Page") = "Home Page"

In the inculde file:

thePage = Session("Page")

If thePage = "Home Page" Then
    ' show this navigation
    ElseIf thePage = "Products Page" Then
    'show other navigation
    etc......
    End If
    ----------------------------------

Ribeyed,

Thanks for responding! I appreciate it! i thought it would involve an if/then statment, but i wasn't sure, and it has been a very long time since i've dealt with if/then statements at all...

I am still a little unclear on a couple of things.
    My first question is where exactly do i put the session variable in the code on the .asp page.
    My second question is where exactly do i put the if/then statement within the include.htm file?
    My third question is how do i state it if i'm using an id within the link code (or list code - i have navigation set up both ways on the site i'm working on) to indicate that the id should move from Link A to Link B when the user is viewing a certain page.

Does that make sense to you? The website i'm working on is VERY involved. it actually has primary, secondary and tertiary navigation. as i have the site set up right now, that primary is the only navigation that is set up as an include statement, and i don't have any indication to the user what page they are viewing.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

JdJ

Can anybody help me with this?? I've done some research on this suggestion of using session variables, but i must not be looking in the right place b/c i haven't been able to make anything work...

Please, please help!!

JdJ

Thread Information