www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame alternative????

Frame alternative????

I have made a site, but have been constrained because I have an Online radio that continuously plays, thus it needs its own frame in order to navigate through the site...

CSS states that it can fix this but I seen a working example that will change the content while keeping the radio playing...

Check out www.northernmics.com to see what I am talking about. :S

Any help would be great so that I can make a more efficient site.

Thanks

you might consider making the whole site in flash. It doesnt look like theres too much content, you should be able to make an even more seamless integration. Now the hard part, radio via flash. I know how to stream mp3s w/ flash so pm if u need help.

Thanks for the input... I originally had it as a complete flash page... I better with the flash than the CSS... PHP.. etc but I found that a complete flash page with the growing content was going to be too much...

The radio is also already a flash movie using XML...

Thanks.. I will weigh my options about switching back to an all flash site :S

well the main reason i say to use flash is that frames are depricated. They really shouldnt be used any more. You could either use flash so that it was all one page, or use ajax to trade the info. Either way, you need it to be in one page unless u want the song interuppted.

ok lets say i go on this website without flash.

your site is then completely useless.

other methods are: SSI, PHP, ASP.NET, etc...

there is nothing on your site which can justify flash content. don't use flash for the sake of it when you can produce the same standard with html and CSS but more usable.

I would like to not need the flash, but the issue is that the Online radio that continuously plays is flash.. and I would prefer to use the frames as is, than to lose the radio.

So I am assuming by the responses that there is no way to solve this problem other than to make a full flash site, or remove the radio...

you could make a radio popup.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldtechs
    ok lets say i go on this website without flash.

your site is then completely useless.

other methods are: SSI, PHP, ASP.NET, etc...

there is nothing on your site which can justify flash content. don't use flash for the sake of it when you can produce the same standard with html and CSS but more usable.
    Actually the radio w/ seamless page transitions justifies flash...

i was on about the current website which is a html/flash hybrid

flash navigation with no text alternative.

flash is an option if you want the radio on all pages but theres also: AJAX (no page transitions if Javascript is enabled), radio popup (again requires Javascript)

frames isn't a line you should go down they are messy and bad practice

i was on about the current website which is a html/flash hybrid

flash navigation with no text alternative.

flash is an option if you want the radio on all pages but theres also: AJAX (no page transitions if Javascript is enabled), radio popup (again requires Javascript)

frames isn't a line you should go down they are messy and bad practice
    AJAX would be the best really. A popup would be the simplest tho

Thanks for continuing to respond... I am not familuar AJAX and will take a look at it... will this allow for the player to remain on the page (static) or will I still need the pop-up???

Again thanks

AJAX will allow you load all the pages into one page. You will not have to navigate to another one.

I took a look at AJAX, and it seems pretty easy to learn, but I read that a con to AJAX is the search engines ability to search/index specific pages/content within... If this is true, it would be the same problem that I already have...

If this is false, Im all for it becuase the AJAX looks pretty useful.

Hunter

you site should work 100% without the ajax. thus making this claim wrong.

yes it will effect a badly developed websites search engine ranking as it wont be able to follow the links. but the site should work still with javascript turned off which is the whole point of the DOM

you site should work 100% without the ajax. thus making this claim wrong.

yes it will effect a badly developed websites search engine ranking as it wont be able to follow the links. but the site should work still with javascript turned off which is the whole point of the DOM
    Instead of saying the claim is wrong, why not offer a solution? Or was your solution a popup?

Thread Information