www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: angle brackets change on server-side include tags

angle brackets change on server-side include tags

I am editing a site that pulls several different server side includes into one page. Using Dreamweaver 8, the code shows the angle brackets of the include tags replaced with "*lt;--" instead of "<!--". Can anyone expain this to me?
    Thanks!

&lt; is the same as <

so it should if anything say: &lt;!--

but I may be wrong.

if it works, let it be!
    Design first! Code later!

If you are pasting code into Dreamweaver, make sure you paste into the "Code" window, not the "Design" window.

Thanks, but I'm missing something else. I understand the code view vs design view. And, the &lt;!-- may call the include fine, but it causes the text of the entire include tag to show in the live page. Thus, I have to go in and edit back each one. I need to figure out what is causing the change when it comes into Dreamweaver. Same happens with GoLive.

Well, I use Dreamweaver MX2004, and php includes extensively with no problem. I cannot see that SSI would cause any other problems - or that Dreamweaver 8 would handle includes differently. But perhaps this thread should be moved to the Dreamweaver/FrontPage section, to see if the community there can throw any further light on the problem.

Thread Information