dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why no Flash forum?

Whats wrong with older technology? Its had more time to progress. CGI is still useful and works very well.

eh... something about not being the latest and greatest. I have not used it myself, but I hear things about the syntax being annoying and it being hard to use. Any comments on that? I would say cgi is still widely used but since the creation of other server side languages people have moved away from cgi i guess.

Im pretty sure your confusing CGI with Perl. CGI is not a language. It is an interface for languages to communicate with the server (or something like that, im not an expert).

Originally posted by brendandonhue
    It is an interface for languages to communicate with the server
    Yep, that about sums it up...

But CGI goes hand in hand with perl, Perl is used to do CGI and they are both ageing technologies then.

But Perl is still a very applicable web language...

CGI is not related to Perl. You can use CGI to interface with just about any language including PHP and I think ASP.

most people use perl or cgi cause most free host and some paid host only offer cgi or perl

Originally posted by brendandonhue
    CGI is not related to Perl. You can use CGI to interface with just about any language including PHP and I think ASP.
    Well, considering that ASP isn't a language either... In that case, PHP isn't a full programming language either.

Anyway, you must admit that CGI and Perl are used inter-changeably by most people. It's not that you couldn't use another language to write CGI programs, but about 99% of the CGI programs use Perl. I don't think I have ever seen one that didn't use Perl(besides a couple written in C...).

Originally posted by lakers01
    most people use perl or cgi cause most free host and some paid host only offer cgi or perl
    Where do you get your info from? There are free PHP servers EVERYWHERE nowadays...

Originally posted by AdamBrill

Where do you get your info from? There are free PHP servers EVERYWHERE nowadays...
    ok 25%

i mean like geocities,tripod,angelfire,etc
    u get the picture

I did not think those three host supported any server side technologies. Anyways I just was thinking if ASP uses vbscript ASP.NET uses C# and VB,, CGI uses PERL, and JSP uses java, and so on and so fourth why do we refer to them as server side languages? Wouldnt processes be a better term? Just one of those thoughts that I have everyonce and a while....

I use to use them and all exeptd geocities have cgi capibilty but not full like no sendmail

Thats true-ASP is similar to CGI in that its not truly a language either.

lakers01-you said that most people use CGI/Perl because thats what hosts offer. This is completely untrue. Do you have any evidence to backup that fact?

Im not sure if this has always been the case, but currently none of geocities, angelfire, tripod support Perl/CGI. Maybe they used to?

Thread Information