www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Image links not working right

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingAnt
    ...But, what may I ask is this "white-space bug"?
    If you've ever created an <ul> and have a number of <li>s in it, and the last one either is cut-off, shows up in two places, spaced rather big vertically or is somehow 'messed up' and adding another <li> makes the previous one 'okay' and the last one added messed up..., -'white-space bug'.

In a nutshell, in an <ul>, IE sometime incorrectly sees a 'line break' in your HTML code as a "virtual carriage return" (to borrow the typing expression), and it inserts a 'virtual <br />' there... totally messin' up your code.

So:

<ul><li><a href="#">One</a></li><li><a href="#">Two</li><li><a href="#">Three</a></li></ul>

and the output is a list like:

One
    Two
    Three

above is 'white-space bug-free', whereas:
    <ul>
    <li><a href="#"></a></li>
    </ul>

triggers the 'white-space bug' and the output is:

One

Two

Three

Ways to combat this are to declare "display:inline-block;", set a default width for the <li>, use "<--" after <"/li>" and "-->" before "<li>", -there are other methods but either of these is sufficient.

This will explain it further and probably better:

http://www.csscreator.com/node/6745
    Last edited by WebJoel; 03-10-2007 at 12:51 PM.
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

That shadow behind you? It's not the cat. Mwahaha
    Wow. Craziness.

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingAnt
    ...Now how that broke the whole thing I'll never know, but when I remove that line, all the buttons work....
    Oh yeah (-was in a a hurry to take my son out for a walk and didn't finish the reply properly), -my example worked and when you changed it, it stopped? -I bet you were looking at the file from my template, -with the " * {margin:0; padding:0} " in <STYLE>. If you merely cut & pasted the <ul> and the stuff for the <ul>-proper without the "margin:0;" from the first line of my STYLE, -it just might bust apart.

You would have to insert "margin:0;" in the <ul> somewhere, -probably on the " ~ul li {margin:0; foo:etc.}. That might be how to solve the whole thing...

The <ul> I did is fairly simple but if we're using different CSS in <style>, the results would probably be quite different. I really should create a more 'generic' or transitional template to use for returning my often verbose explanations and not just assume that everyone uses the same uber-STYLE that I do. (and, this is probably why when I test others' code I often fail to see their complaint in my template the first time or two and I have to ask for clarification... )
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

Thread Information