dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: The Frame Challenge

The Frame Challenge

We have 2 frames. One on the left side which is a menu. The balance of the screen on the right is our contents page.

The menu comes from www.openoursite.com and the contents comes from www.apitherapy4me.com. Two different websites.

We want the www.apitherapy4me.com website to open on the right side with the menu from openoursite on the left.

When we click on a any menu item, the page comes from www.openoursite.com and we want this page to always replace the then current contents page on the right.

What happens is that the original contents page is not removed and a new window is opened instead, with the linked page. This we can not live with.

When we only open www.openoursite.com everything works fine, because we are getting all the linked menu items from the same website.

We think the problem occurs due to the fact that the first page opened in the contents page is from a different website.

We had it working in IE6, but with IE7 it doesn't work.

Anyone with a solution ????

Anyone with a link ????

could you please explain it further or post a link to your site to see what is the problem..

Sorry

I forgot to state that you should open the following site. When you then click on one of the menu items on the left side, it opens in a new window, which we don't want. I think this should do it.

Thanks

www.apitherapy4me.com

the page is opening on the other frames and doesn't seem to have any problem..doesn't open in new window either..

tested it with firefox 2.0 and IE 6..

You must use the
    target ="showframes"
    on all links that you want to open in the main frame whether they are external links to other sites or html pages.

Sorry sticks464 Doesn't help

In IE7 it still doesn't work.

Anyone with any other ideas?

Thanks Matt

Gentlemen & Ladies:

As you know, it works in IE6, but it does not work in IE7.

Maybe we have left something out in our explanation, so I will try my very best to explain the problem. More than 1 person at Microsoft has agreed that our code was programmed correctly for IE6 and that it worked in IE6. IT DOES NOT WORK IN IE7.

I will explain in the best manner and in the best order that I can.

1. We have a site named: www.openoursite.com and it has worked properly for some time now, using 2 frames, with no errors. Lately, we decided to add some store marketing functions to the site. FIRST SUGGESTION: Open our site and see how the links on the left menu function. They open a new page in the right frame, replacing the existing page

2. The menu page on the left is named mainmenulist.htm and the frame name is: menu. The page name on the right is named mainmenubody.htm and the fame name on the right is: showframes. The frames were constructed using FrontPage, which developed openoursite.htm There is also an index.htm page.

Now, Iíll describe our addition.

3. To test our code, we used one of our existing test sites named: www.apitherapy4me.com . On the index page we added code to the index page that would open mainmenulist.htm from www.openoursite.com and place it in the left frame. Next, we assigned a different website name in the index page of apitheraph4me and it is opened to the right of the menu into the frame named showframes. EVERYTHING WORKS FINE TO THIS POINT. We now have the menu open from openoursite and the website from apitherapy4me.

4. NOW IS THE PROBLEM . . .When you click on an item from the menu, the correct page from openoursite is opened, BUT . . . It is opened in a new window, without closing the existing website in the showframes frame. In IE6 this works correctly. In IE7 . . . It Does NOT.

5. I believe that the coding requirements in IE7 has changed so much that IE6 coding wonít work in IE7.

6. I have also looked at various forums and have found other sites looking to find answers to this type of problem when using frames in IE7.

7. I will supply you with any info that you need.

8. We need this application to work, as our customers are starting to line up and they want to use this application.

9. PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHAT WE CAN DOTO HELP. . .

If you need any sample code, please ask.

Thanks

Matt @ Launchnet

mrgentrysr@hotmail.com

I must be missing something too. I used IE 7.0 and clicked on every link on the left. They all opened on the right side of your page. None opened in a new window. I think that is what you stated your problem is.

Ron

Reply to Major Payne

It may open on the right side, but in IE7 it opens on top of the right frame and does not replace the contents of the right frame. Each link that you click on keeps opening.

When you try to close the current page, you then see the next page and all of the pages that you clicked on the menu have to be closed individually.

When it works in IE6, there is only 1 page open in the right frame.

Sorry, I couldn't reply sooner.

Thanks

Matt

Thread Information