www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Separate files for header and footer

Arrow Separate files for header and footer

Hi all,
    all of my site's pages have the same headers and footers, so I want to use two separate files - one for the header and one for the footer.
    I think it can be done using :
    Code:
    <!--#include virtual="footer.html"-->
    and by renaming all the pages to the .shtml suffix.

What else should I do, because right now it's not working.

Plz Help !

Did you remove the <html>, <head>. <body> and Doctype from the html file? You only need the actual html code on the footer.html page.
    Did you insert <!--#include virtual="footer.html"--> in the location it would normally be in the .shtml page code?

Thanks for the reply.
    I did all that. But I think you have to do something with a ".access" file, right ?

Configure you path as <!--#include virtual="/footer.html"--> or maybe <!--#include virtual="../footer.html"-->. This is assuming your file is in the root directory and not a folder. Also see http://www.entheosweb.com/website_de...e_includes.asp

Check with your site host. You might need an .htaccess file to set this up or you might be able to do it through a control panel or you might not be able to do it at all through that mechanism.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Thread Information