www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Coming soon: HTML 5.0?

Coming soon: HTML 5.0?

Apparently, the W3C has restarted work on HTML because of issues in implementing XHTML. Seems that HTML is a bit more difficult to get rid of than the W3C originally thought. I do have a feeling that if XML becomes properly supported on Internet Exporer, that will finally be the beginning of the end for HTML.

http://www.w3.org/2007/03/html-pressrelease

Looks to me like they're taking a rather scatter-gun approach and are likely to confuse matters more than resolve them. HTML 5 (or whatever it'll be called) as an application of SGML and XML doesn't sound like much of a good idea to me. Nor does renaming XHTML 2.0.

So much for making the web an open place for everyone by keeping the core markup simple and easy to understand for all. Sounds more like they're trying to wrong-foot people rather than keep the entry level as low as possible.

I dunno. What I hope they'll do is keep HTML parallel to the intended XHTML. For example, that they have the same tags for HTML 5.0 that they intend to have for XHTML 2.0.

That way, when XHTML 2.0 becomes the standard, all you have to do is change your content type, fix your tags, put in your XML declaration, HTML namespace, and away you go.

I'd be happy if they set the HTML 5.0 standards so as to require the same tags as XHTML 1.0 so as to make the validator more useful for people writing properly coded web pages.
    Stephen

They've already got an HTML version of XHTML 1.0: HTML 4.01. HTML 5.0 (or maybe HTML 4.1 or whatever) should be equivalent to XHTML 1.1 at least.

One thing we tend to forget is that the entry level, with the right tutorial, IS already low for the beginning coder. CSS is quite simple, and basic XHTML is really simple to learn as well.

I don't really see it as becoming more complicated. Rather, the next HTML could very well parallel the development of XHTML, so that when XHTML comes into its own, there will be little adjustment needed.
    Last edited by Mr Initial Man; 03-16-2007 at 04:23 AM.

Personally, I wish we could switch totally over to xml.
    If you like xml, you might like XUL, too. Here's a cool link for using XUL that degrades gracefully to dhtml.

Looks interesting, yes. I'd prefer to wait until something comes up that takes XUL and turns it into a standard, though. I'm weird that way. ^^

But I agree. Turning completely over to the XML languages (XML, XSLT, XHTML, SVG, MathML, and whatever we wanna come up with) would be just dandy.
    Last edited by Mr Initial Man; 03-16-2007 at 06:25 AM.

Thread Information