dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: FLV not working

FLV not working

I have a new project to create tutorials for the library. I am using a screen capture, Adobe Premier Elements and saving the file as a FLV file. I insert a link to the file on an HTML page, send to the server but when you click on the link I am getting a 404 page not found? I tried embedding the FLV using Dreamweavers Insert Flash Video command and nothing shows on the page.

http://library.drury.edu/tutorials.htm - Learn to Access a Database is the link in question. The embedded FLV is suppose to be on the next Link position.

I have a server admin who is unwilling to work with me and I have been looking around to see what needs to be done on the server end to get these to work. We are running a Windows Server 2003R2, Enterprise ED SP1.

Are you linking directly to the flv file? If so that won't work. You need to be linking to an swf which loads the flash player and will handle that incoming flv file.

Chris
    www.infinityspiral.com

No SWF

Adobe Premiere elements does not give me the option to save as an .swf file just .flv, or, windows media, quicktime, or mpeg. The Flash Video was the smallest file and I had read (somewhere) that this was getting to be the most popular way of putting up video on the web.

Yeah Elements isn't designed as a start to finish solution for the web. It's just a piece to puzzle. It's meant more as a afterthought for if you already have Flash up and running, but no it's not the end result.

If you want to load just the one flv you can use Macromedia Flash to create a player and browse directly to the file. If you have multiple flv files I'd again suggest using Flash to make a player, but you'll need to feed the filename in through a variable in the html/javascript- that can be tougher. That's what I ended up doing on my site though.

Okay so I was wrong, you don't need to use Flash to build out a player. I did some mucking around with Dreamweaver and found that it will actually create a player for you with the insert command.

When you do this command it creates 2 files alongside your html file. They are both swf files, one is the player and the other is the skin for the player. These both need to be correctly referrenced in your html and uploaded to the right directory on your server.

Thread Information