www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: CSS & Option Select Box

CSS & Option Select Box

Is there any way to style / modify a standard option select box so that it opens in its drop-down state instead of having to having to click the drop-down arrow first?

Clicking anywhere on it should drop it down shouldn't it? At any rate CSS won't help.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Yes, clicking anywhere does drop down the select box, however, I would like the option to have the select box open in the drop-down state without having to click anything.

I did do some checking, and I couldn't find anything either that would allow me to do what I want using a standard option select box, so I posted here.

Are Mozilla objects, like option select boxes, open source, and if they are, where is the source? How / can the properties of Mozilla objects be modified?

Does anyone know of a solution or know of an open source option select box that will do what I want?

Either set the size attribute in the html or with JavaScript.
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Thanks for your reply Fang, but I don't quite get the effect I'm looking for with the size set to more than 1.

With the size set to more than 1, I don't get the same onmouseover effect with the select options as I do with the size set to 1.

I know I'm being picky!

I guess you might try using the DOM and an onload handler to send a click event to the select.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Thanks for the suggestion, ray326, I'll look into that!

Thread Information