dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: ASP and Javascript

ASP and Javascript

Hello all,
    I'm a beginner trying to extend Flash action scripting capabilities. Could someone please explain the relationship between ASP and Javascript?

Sarah

As far as technologies are concern,there is no relationsship between ASP and JavaScript.
    ASP is a direct sub-set of MS Visual Basic and JavaScript can be losely tied with C/C++ and Java family of programming languages.

Functionality wise,
    ASP is a server side scripting language which is used to enhance the abilities and hide the business logic from a client.
    On the other hand JavaScript is a client side scripting language that has nothing to do with the underlying OS/Machine,
    By Client side I mean that it resides on the client(Browser).

Hope this helps a bit.

Khalid Ali

ASP and Javascript

Thank you, Khalid. Your reply helped tremendously.

Let me ask you another question. If Javascript is a client side scripting language, I'm assuming it invokes certain functions via the application server, right? What language would you use to write those functions that the application server passes on to the web server?

I hope my question makes sence. I'm knew to this. If you would like me to clarify, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    Sarah

If I understood u correctly.
    then there is a variety of programming languages you can use, on the server side
    JSP/Java, ASP, I am not familiar with CGIScripting and PHP but I am certain they have a way of embedding JavaScript as well.

Khalid

Server side languages

OK. So here is my quandary. I want to build a dynamic web site, which will calculate logarithmic functions based on user input and invisible database info. Does that make sence? I then want the application server to respond appropriately. Would I need both a client side and a server side language to accomplish this or will one or the other suffice? Security is a big issue and would rather not share my log functions with the client, only the result.

Sarah

Ok, here is the point.
    The reason we want to use client side scripting langs(JavaScript etc) is that to minimise the number of connections to the application server, and do as much as possible work on client side,which return makes a faster response to user.
    There now it all depends on your particular case, and how your logic will be and is for your datamodel.

Khalid

Your server-side language

Thank you, good sir, for all the valuable information. You have pointed me in the right direction so far, so I won't ask you about logic and data models. I will however, ask you what your preferred server-side language is? Could C++ be considered a server-side language? and most importantly, could you suggest a good book on this topic?

Sarah

I gues you could use C++,
    My choice would be java(Servlet or Jsp) and if you have extremely database dependent application model the probably Java,J2EE framework.This will increase your applications prtablity on various OS's.

If you know more and actual guidance in using java related tecnologies,let ne know,I may be of a help..:-)

Khalid

oops type.
    "If you need more guidance "

Thread Information