www.webdeveloper.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Streaming Music

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bristol Uk
    Posts
    3

    Question Streaming Music

    I am about to build a web site and want to have an Interface which allows visitors to play music. They will be able to do this by choosing tracks from a list. Once selected it will show artist info etc...

    What i would like to know is it is possible to do this for free but still good quallity and how would i go about it? I presume the interface would have to be writen in java.

    The whole interface has to be web based so visitors dont have to download anthing. Anyone know anywhere i can get something like this or find out how its done?

    One interface i like is the one found on www.heavy.com

    Anyone know how its made and what type of audio file they are using?

    Any help would be appreciated TIA


    Something else that i was wondering is...as i am not gonna get any profit from my site, would i be able to stream music from well known artists for free without getting chucked in a cell with a dodgy lookin inmate???

    Streaming music is not something ive ever got involved in so its all new~!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    High on life
    Posts
    10,104
    Originally posted by tastyondatongue
    One interface i like is the one found on www.heavy.com

    Anyone know how its made and what type of audio file they are using?
    This was made in Macromedia Flash. The audio format is almost certainly MP3. Flash would be a good way to do this, as it is quite powerful, but the learning curve is also a bit steep. I see you are looking for a free way to do this, though - Macromedia Flash isn't free...

    Originally posted by tastyondatongue
    Something else that i was wondering is...as i am not gonna get any profit from my site, would i be able to stream music from well known artists for free without getting chucked in a cell with a dodgy lookin inmate???
    If it were me, I wouldn't do it...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bristol Uk
    Posts
    3
    yeah?! i thought the heavy one was flash too. Good audio quality on that site...as long as you got broadband that is

    Well im sure i can find out how to make a flash based player...might even be able to do that already!

    Next problem is where to host the files though! Have a few options there and am about to find out if my proposed host allows streaming audio....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    High on life
    Posts
    10,104
    Originally posted by tastyondatongue
    Well im sure i can find out how to make a flash based player...might even be able to do that already!
    Yeah, a simple player would be quite easy to make.

    Originally posted by tastyondatongue
    Next problem is where to host the files though! Have a few options there and am about to find out if my proposed host allows streaming audio....
    If you are planning on using Flash, just make sure they support it... Are you looking for a free host or not? If not, look at http://www.domainsvision.com. I've used them and been satisfied. A year is under $50.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bristol Uk
    Posts
    3
    Ahh looks very good apart from they dont offer unlimited bandwidth which is gonna be a must!

    this looks interesting though

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    High on life
    Posts
    10,104
    Originally posted by tastyondatongue
    Ahh looks very good apart from they dont offer unlimited bandwidth which is gonna be a must!
    True. I've not had to worry about going over 2 GB, but if you get a good number of hits, all of them downloading music, it could go fast...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Saint Louis , Missouri
    Posts
    157
    I will make it simple for you

    1) borrow or buy HTML 4.0 for the world wide web by Elizabeth Castro

    2)go to Http://www.HostOnce.com

    They have
    Unlimited Webspace
    Unlimited Email
    Unlimited Bandwidth
    for only $5 a month !

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    240
    Originally posted by Kaisa
    I will make it simple for you

    1) borrow or buy HTML 4.0 for the world wide web by Elizabeth Castro

    2)go to Http://www.HostOnce.com

    They have
    Unlimited Webspace
    Unlimited Email
    Unlimited Bandwidth
    for only $5 a month !
    Great Book! I highly recommend it. Also check out the book's companion Web site, www.cookwood.com

    Trust me

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles