www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Forum/website/domain questions

Question Forum/website/domain questions

I'll try and keep this long story kinda brief!

Due to our old forum biting the dust, we set a free phpbb forum up as an emergency. The way things have panned out, it's now our permanent home.

Ultimately, I'm going to build a website, hopefully with the forum linked (I've only ever built one website and you guys here were terrific in your help) and get a domain name too.

Firstly, the forum is free phpbb (from createphpbb.com). Am I as well sticking with this or trying to move the forum to somewhere else? So far, we're happy enough with phpbb (it's much better than the old YaBB forum) but I guess it could be better - it's kinda limited in some respects, but great in others.

Regarding hosting the website when I get it done - how do I know how much bandwidth, etc., I'll need? If I have a link to the forum, would the forum use be included in the hosting use, or would it still be hosted by createphpbb.com? It's a pretty busy forum (10,000 posts in two weeks!!).

The first thing I'll do is get the domain name and use it for the forum (and I think I'll need to redirect the url and cloak the present one??), but will it be easy enough to change over to the website once I get it running. I take it that all I'd need to do on the website is assign a hyperlink with the forum url to the relevant button on the website?

And a final (bet you're glad) question - can anyone recommend somewhere for domain names/hosting (or are you not allowed to do that?)

Sorry if this sounds all a bit vague - mainly because it is. As I said, I've only ever built one website before and this is a complete crash course just now because we never expected to have to move the forum!!!

And if I've posted this in the wrong bit, sorry!!

I would suggest you stick with this forum because moving to another one might mean loosing a lot, if not all, of your posts.

A forum does not take up a look of bandwidth, but with that many visitors get yourself a "deluxe" hosting plan and you should only be paying about $7 a month.

If the forum is hosted on your domain then it counts against your bandwidth, if you simply link to another website than that does not count against your bandwidth.

Hope that helps you a bit?

Great, thank you. Looks like it would be easier to just link to the forum from the proposed website. I know that (for a price) I can get a backup of my database if I wanted to move the forum, but I'm not that computer literate so I'd be frightened I'd do something wrong and lose it all.

Most hosting companies will move all the information for you. At least mine did!

Thread Information