dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Which is the ultimate PC?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Voodoo

1 10.00%
  • ABS

3 30.00%
  • Alienware

6 60.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which computer is the ultimate?

Which computer is the ultimate?

These are three brands of computers that are extremely expensive and have unbelievable performance and hardware specs. What I want to know is what's the ultimate of the ultimate?

Is it Voodoo, ABS, or Alienware?

I personally think ABS. They have a good support method for managing people over the phone. You call them, tell them your issue, and they call you back so you don't have to wait on the phone. You get a big bang for your buck. And I mentioned in a different thread that had an ABS computer seven years ago and it still runs perfectly. It has been moved to a lot of places a lot of times and that hasn't affected the hard drive or anything else. It has gone to a well-deserved retirement at my grandfather's. Also a lot of people seem to like Aliemware because they look cool and are extremely fast. Voodoo PCs are extremely fast, and they're owned by HP now so that's why I prefer them over Aliemware. So is Voodoo, ABS, or Alienware the dominating of the ultimate PC?

"Build-it-yourself" + "Suse Linux 9.3" === "Computational heaven" <!-- (IMHO) -->
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

Ah... If I remember what I typed seven hours ago and what I'm looking at right now, the choices are Voodoo, ABS, and Alienware. Besides, it really wouldn't be fair to have a custom made or built-it-yourself computer because different people have different computer making skills.

Who voted Alienware? Please tell us why!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Philbin
    "Build-it-yourself" + "Suse Linux 9.3" === "Computational heaven" <!-- (IMHO) -->
    You should check out Sabayon sometime, I am going to install it next week sometime when I get a chance (my current HDD is getting old and has picked up some bad blocks, so time to do a fresh install). It has a live CD installer so you can preview it. It is preloaded with all kinds of yummy stuff, including Beryl, and is based on gentoo so you get Portage and the scalability and ability to optimize and compile anything you want.

Plus my laptop runs Ubuntu right now, and I am getting sick of referring to my os as the "Giddy Gopher"...

When you buy a pre built system or Branded system, you have to remember that these barebone and bundle systems are made as cheap as possible, people like IBM,HP, PackardBell and Dell often buy in or specify mobos with missing parts like certain sockets, my partner has a DELL that uses onboard video, it is without any slots for video, PCI, PCI-E or AGP. So when the video goes, theirs no slotting in a card for video option, its a complete new machine.

Another system she bought had hard soldered CPU, so when the CPU eventually fried, it was a complete new system...

Bespoke over prebuilt anyday as prebuilt represents bad value for money.

Aahhh! Voodoo, ABS, or Alienware! NOT CUSTOM MADE! Although I do love hearing that Dell story as I am a complete anti-Dell person, \\.\, we're focusing on Voodoo, ABS, and Alienware. Even Macs are better than Dells in my opinion. But that's not the topic. For the third time, Voodoo, ABS, and Alienware. Vote on the poll and tell why you voted for that brand, please.

Quote Originally Posted by PeOfEo
    referring to my os as the "Giddy Gopher"...
    Then use the number?

But i agree with \\.\, you should buy parts based on what you need.
    Prebuilt systems are usually categorized into gaming, home use and server.
    I use mine for all three...

Quote Originally Posted by PeOfEo
    Plus my laptop runs Ubuntu right now, and I am getting sick of referring to my os as the "Giddy Gopher"...
    Urm, Gopher was some time ago. Why are you not using Edgy Eft or Feisty Fawn already?
    Quote Originally Posted by EricG1793
    Aahhh! Voodoo, ABS, or Alienware! NOT CUSTOM MADE!
    I prefer our goal posts, what's the point in arbitrarily restricting your options anyway? I'd never think of buying any of those brands, I'm currently using an IBM laptop and if I happen to run into any cash any time soon then it'll be a custom built desktop. Probably with Debian Linux, or SUSE, depending on what I feel like at the time.

I'm not thoroughly against Dell, they're quite cheap and very very easy to stick bits into/ take bits out, what they come with is obviously not great but if for instance you want a bunch more USB or Firewire ports then you just go to the shop, buy a card, and them stick them in, you don't need any skill whatsoever to do it.
    Last edited by the tree; 04-21-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Sorry about that, I had been trying to get a key on to a keyboard that I accidentally pried off. I gave up and came here.

I said this before, the reason that I don't have custom made PCs as an option is that a custom made computer could be anything from a home made version of a Dell to a PC that takes up a whole room with loads of RAM, hard drives, and processors. So custom made computers aren't really fair to put as an option.

“The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Quote Originally Posted by Charles
    Oooohhhh... ahhhhh... Now that's a REALLY fancy laptop! And to think that I used to think that ThinkPads were "luxury"!

Get a Mac

Quote Originally Posted by EricG1793
    Who voted Alienware? Please tell us why!
    I believe i did.

Alienware have some seriously droolworthy rigs. Although if your looking for an ultimate rig as other said, that isnt on the list, custom builds are the way to go.

The Next One...

Sorry, but this is a pet peave of mine. It is so obvious that the next machine will be much better that it is a ridiculous notion that any machine could ever expect to be the ultimate - that honour will go to the last Mac off the production line before the asteroid hits.

Thread Information