www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Which is the ultimate PC?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Voodoo

1 10.00%
  • ABS

3 30.00%
  • Alienware

6 60.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which computer is the ultimate?

It doesn't have to be a mac.

It's the comp with the largest HDD, fastest processor, and most RAM that will be the ultimate before the asteroid hits.

Quote Originally Posted by the tree
    Urm, Gopher was some time ago. Why are you not using Edgy Eft or Feisty Fawn already?
    IT WAS A JOKE!!! I was using Dapper Drake the other day... Now I am using Sabayon which is far superior to Ubuntu in every way.

I think you left off perhaps the most ultimate system builder, Falcon Northwest. You think Alienware is pricey ... Falcon NW will take you to the cleaners.

But yeah, I'd build my own pooters, that way I'm assured of quality, stability and there's no middle man adding a percentage to the price.

If I had to choose from those three, Alienware I guess (though you know that Dell owns them now right?) because I don't know the other two.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harrison
    I think you left off perhaps the most ultimate system builder, Falcon Northwest. You think Alienware is pricey ... Falcon NW will take you to the cleaners.

But yeah, I'd build my own pooters, that way I'm assured of quality, stability and there's no middle man adding a percentage to the price.

If I had to choose from those three, Alienware I guess (though you know that Dell owns them now right?) because I don't know the other two.
    Yes, Alienware is pricey...

WHAT!!! Alienware is owned by Dell?!! Ugh! I'll never think the same of them again...

Voodoo is now owned by HP (Yes, yes, I know that there some people out there crazily against HP...)

ABS is owned by Newegg.

Yeah, Dell has owned Alienware for over a year now, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4835536.stm
    Texas-based Dell said Alienware would operate as a standalone division, keeping its brand name.
    Basically, they don't want to mess with a good thing, they just want money it brings in.

The only ABS I knew before today was Albino Black Sheep, however, after checking out the ABS computers site, I have to say it looks kinda cheap. Lots of pictures that have been stretched bigger so that they look crap and they (badly) copied the Falcon-NS cross hair for selecting links in a flash section half way down the page.

Still, the website doesn't necessarily say anything about the business, but since their site isn't anywhere near as polished as Falcon-NW or Alienware, it just seems that they don't care about, or at least don't pay much attention to, the details.

HP used to be good but these are the two major reasons im agaisnt HP nowadays:

- The quality of their consumer products is really poor nowadays
    - They force users to stick with windows and the same hardware. Bios locking all your hardware and if you attempt to remove the bios lock or alter your bios your warranty becomes invalid

Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666

- They force users to stick with windows and the same hardware. Bios locking all your hardware and if you attempt to remove the bios lock or alter your bios your warranty becomes invalid
    There's a poll in the Computer Issues category called "Dell vs HP" that we can talk about HP (and Dell) issues in! I brougt it back from the dead and was hoping that some of the original posters would come back to it but nobody has...

The day after the computer was first invented a second type of computer was invented by the same inventor. If anyone ever manages to actually build computers of that second type then all of the existing computers (which are of the first type) wont matter any more since it would be like comparing the size of a tennis ball with that of a star.

Hmm.... I never knew that. Maybe this will happen someday... Which second person voted for Alienware? Pleeeeease tell us why!

I did, and I already did...
    If I had to choose from those three, Alienware I guess

I did, and I already did...
    Some people just haven't stumbled upon wherever it documents this yet.

And I know that you told us why you voted Alienware. Oh, my goodness! I only just realized that a second person voted for Alienware! (This is obviously sarcasm.)

Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666

I have an HP and love it. My Dell was from hell.

I also hate that you do not get back-up CD's for your programs. HP makes you buy them, which is a major inconvenience if you're reformatting a hard drive. Lastly, their customer support has plummetted in the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by KDLA

I also hate that you do not get back-up CD's for your programs. HP makes you buy them, which is a major inconvenience if you're reformatting a hard drive. Lastly, their customer support has plummetted in the past year.
    I was saying in another thread that I have an HP Pavilion DV2000Z laptop and I am obsessed with it. Right now it's polished, shiny, and there's not a single fingerprint or scratch on it. although a week ago I broke the down arrow key and I can't get it off. I lost the pieces... either they'll have me send it in and they'll put the new key on or they'll send me a whole new keyboard to put on since I'm sure a keyboard is easier to get on than a single little key...

Oh, and if you love your HP it probably means you're on the Voodoo side as they're owned by HP and you're anti-Alienware because Alienware is Dell owned.

Oh, and just so everybody knows A.B.S. stands for Always Better Service. The Always Better Service phrase is kind of corny but the saying "A.B.S." sounds cool.

...Oh, and... Oh, and... sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by KDLA

Whow, guess our experience differs alot

Ive got a dell (that i got very nearly new) and had it for a few years. A 1.06ghz celeron thats a few years old and had no issues at all apart from the joystick tracking a bit.

My HP laptop is only a year old (top range consumer grade). Had a manual and OS and driver disc with it included free. Just within that year its developed so many faults, some of which: Very loose usb ports, faulty keyboard, mousepad worn straight through and innacurate, one of the two HDD crapped out, fault on the pci slot, rusting grill/faulty speakers, loose daughterboard power connector and a couple of faults that dont come to mind straight away. Also as i mentioned this laptop is bios-locked so it means you cant upgrade any component under the warranty else it invalidates it. Gotta send it off for repairs when i get a spare full day to wait in for a courier, fun!

Have you ever owned a thinkpad though kdla? I dont know anyone with bad luck from them. Ive got an old ibm thinkpad laptop (from when they were ibm) thats over 10 years old, a slimline x21 800mhz and still works beautifully and up to date, touch wood, has never needed repairing, very robust indeed and runs linux beautifully

And by "over 10" you of course mean, "5 and a half". 10 years ago desktops weren't that fast (800 MHz), they were only just half that fast.

Thread Information