www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Which is the ultimate PC?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Voodoo

    1 10.00%
  • ABS

    3 30.00%
  • Alienware

    6 60.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 83

Thread: Which computer is the ultimate?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666
    Whow, guess our experience differs alot

    Ive got a dell (that i got very nearly new) and had it for a few years. A 1.06ghz celeron thats a few years old and had no issues at all apart from the joystick tracking a bit.

    My HP laptop is only a year old (top range consumer grade). Had a manual and OS and driver disc with it included free. Just within that year its developed so many faults, some of which: Very loose usb ports, faulty keyboard, mousepad worn straight through and innacurate, one of the two HDD crapped out, fault on the pci slot, rusting grill/faulty speakers, loose daughterboard power connector and a couple of faults that dont come to mind straight away. Also as i mentioned this laptop is bios-locked so it means you cant upgrade any component under the warranty else it invalidates it. Gotta send it off for repairs when i get a spare full day to wait in for a courier, fun!

    Have you ever owned a thinkpad though kdla? I dont know anyone with bad luck from them. Ive got an old ibm thinkpad laptop (from when they were ibm) thats over 10 years old, a slimline x21 800mhz and still works beautifully and up to date, touch wood, has never needed repairing, very robust indeed and runs linux beautifully
    OK, a few things to say. A Dell that's only a few years old only has a 1.06 ghz processor?! I do realize of course that computers evolve so, so fast but that's a bit slow even for a few years.

    I've never heard anybody directly say something bad about an HP laptop before. Usually they say things such as "their support is lowsy; you can't understand what they're saying" however I go online and do an online chat with them and that is always excellent. And if you think you can't understand an HP rep then go talk to someone from Dell some time. I think I said this earlier in this thread and in other threads that I have an HP Pavilion DV2000Z (Z meaning an AMD Sempron processor) and I love it more than any computer in the world.

    My sister had an IBM ThinkPad (Yes, from the IBM days) since October 2003. She had been using it for college. Then she finished college and the computer just sat in her room for a few years while my sister was living in Boston. And in those few years it had experienced extreme cold, extreme warmth (you've never been in the upstairs of my house in the summer... it's dreadful) and has been moved around in that time. And as of April 24, 2007, it is eight years old and still going. It has needed a new battery; when IBM had the ThinkPads their batteries really stunk. However, with the new generic battery that I got for it, the eight year old ThinkPad gets only about fifteen less minutes than my three month old Pavilion... But anyway yes ThinkPads are the best laptop you can buy. I would have gotten one besides the Pavilion but they're pretty expensive. When I'm in college maybe I'll get a ThinkPad because of mobility issues but I'm sure that my Pavilion will still be fine for use at home.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    181
    Hmmm... another Alienware vote. Let's discuss why Alienware is in the lead. and why ABS is second. And why Voodoo hasn't gotten any votes. Who's the third person who voted Alienware. Please tell us why! (Broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record.......................................)

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Frankfort, KY, USA
    Posts
    6,167
    Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666
    Whow, guess our experience differs alot...
    Have you ever owned a thinkpad though kdla? I dont know anyone with bad luck from them. Ive got an old ibm thinkpad laptop (from when they were ibm) thats over 10 years old, a slimline x21 800mhz and still works beautifully and up to date, touch wood, has never needed repairing, very robust indeed and runs linux beautifully
    I love my HP -- it was a custom-built one, though. (ZV6000) Maybe that's the difference. I have had some problems with it, but they were Windows-associated, not the machine itself. I actually took it apart a couple of weeks ago to install more memory (no easy trick with an HP!!!). It all fit back together again, without my breaking anything. That's a miracle itself, considering how un-mechanical I am.

    I owned a Dell for three years; but never spoke to their customer service. Every time I called in, I was put on hold so long, I hung up.

    I used a ThinkPad for a while at work. It was OK, just based on the limited amount of time I used it. One thing I didn't like, but this might be model-specific: the keyboard, controls, and USB (or other) hookups were positioned so close together. There was no space allowances for anything.

    One brand I'm impressed with, but have never owned, is Toshiba. My dad has a Toshiba laptop. He's dropped it several times, and never experienced bad consequences. Overall, its performance, too, is impressive.

    BTW, Eric -- My liking an HP has no correlation to Voodoo. I've never used it, so that's not a logical assumption.
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by KDLA
    I love my HP -- it was a custom-built one, though. (ZV6000) Maybe that's the difference. I have had some problems with it, but they were Windows-associated, not the machine itself. I actually took it apart a couple of weeks ago to install more memory (no easy trick with an HP!!!). It all fit back together again, without my breaking anything. That's a miracle itself, considering how un-mechanical I am.

    BTW, Eric -- My liking an HP has no correlation to Voodoo. I've never used it, so that's not a logical assumption.
    Do you mean custom-built as in you selected options online? Because the ZV6000 sounds like a usual HP notebook. And if it is HP it's not exactly custom built... if it's got a brand name it's not custom-made to my knowledge. Oh, it could also be a special edition notebook.

    Some people bias their favorite brand computer based off of their divisions... is somebody dislikes Newegg, then they most likely dislike ABS. If somebody dislikes Dell, they probably dislike Alienware (like me!) And if somebody dislikes HP, they probably dislike Voodoo. Or same with them liking the brands...

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    2,138
    Yup, it has to be "Hand Built" like when you go to a saville row taylor, you dont get one off the peg, its made for you to fit you and you only.

    A bespoke built PC system is in its own way unique as it is built to your spec and requirements, or your "Fit".

    It doesnt matter if the items you buy that go into the machine are branded like the mobo, video card, ram, etc but not the whole thing, eg like Dell, HP etc, components are in a variety or flavours ranging from generic unbranded to well known names.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by \\.\
    Yup, it has to be "Hand Built" like when you go to a saville row taylor, you dont get one off the peg, its made for you to fit you and you only.

    It doesnt matter if the items you buy that go into the machine are branded like the mobo, video card, ram, etc but not the whole thing, eg like Dell, HP etc, components are in a variety or flavours ranging from generic unbranded to well known names.
    I agree completely with what you're saying! That's what I'm trying to say to people why having a custom made PC doesn't count for this poll. Just the brand names, Voodoo, ABS, and Alienware.

    My HP is made up of pretty much big brand names; Fujitsu hard drive, Nvidia graphics and I assume Nvidia motherboard, Ricoh memory card reader, Synaptics mouse area, Broadcom a/b/g wireless... the only odd thing that I have is a Mat****a (I think that's how it's spelled ) CD-Rom drive. It is pretty noisy when the lens moves around but overall the performance is good. But about the Fujitsu hard drive it's a shame that HP put a competitor's brand in to their own computers. I hate this hard drive; it's too loud for a laptop hard drive and it gets xtremely hot. If it's just sitting on my desk it's 54 degrees C, , and I think that's about 127 degrees F. And I know that these "ultimate" gaming PCs have pretty much the same brands, such as ATI and Nvidia graphics, and I notice that they tend to lean towards the Western Digital hard drives. ABS hangs mostly around Kingston and Corsair for their RAM. So really it all depends the combination of brands that the manufacturers put in to their computers and how they configure it. It also helps the way they actually arrange the items in the case, the way they share heat, etc.
    Last edited by EricG1793; 04-29-2007 at 10:00 AM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Frankfort, KY, USA
    Posts
    6,167
    I meant that my HP was custom built for me at HP; it wasn't "off the shelf." Generically, it's called a zv6000, but I chose each of its features, features not necessarily "the default" for a zv6000, such as using AMD instead of the usual Intel or Celeron.

    Really, nowdays, buying a computer is much like buying a car. You think it is one brand, but it's really made up of parts from other (even competing) brands. The monolithic computer company really doesn't exist.

    KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by KDLA
    I meant that my HP was custom built for me at HP; it wasn't "off the shelf." Generically, it's called a zv6000, but I chose each of its features, features not necessarily "the default" for a zv6000, such as using AMD instead of the usual Intel or Celeron.

    Really, nowdays, buying a computer is much like buying a car. You think it is one brand, but it's really made up of parts from other (even competing) brands. The monolithic computer company really doesn't exist.

    KDLA
    However when you selected options did it tell you brands, such as what brand the memory was or what brand the hard drive was? ABS, Voodoo, and Alienware all say what brand you're getting when you select features. ABS leans towards Seagate and Western Digital hard drives and Kingston and Corsair for memory.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Acton Ontario
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harrison
    half that fast
    not nesasarilly,(spelling is very bad...) he could have bought a new cpu.
    i have an asus comp... it works beutifully.

    EDIT: screenshot - http://boxxertrumps.bo.funpic.org/desktop.png
    Last edited by boxxertrumps; 04-29-2007 at 10:11 PM.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    6,276
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxertrumps
    not nesasarilly,(spelling is very bad...) he could have bought a new cpu.
    Not for a laptop, also, look at the date when that particluar laptop was released.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by KDLA
    I meant that my HP was custom built for me at HP....
    Sorry to busrt your bubble but it wont have been despite what you were told by the sales person on the phone.

    The machines at HP are shipped in like most sell thru from the asian continent as prebuilt. You say that HP is built by HP! it was most likely from the same factory as packard bell, IBM, DELL and a few other biggies, they will have shipped with all the possible combinations of options that they "Limited" your choice to.

    Like all these major branded PC's, nothing is built by them its built for them from cheap labour in Tiawan, Japan & China as well as a few middle eastern countries. So dont be fooled by what these companys offer as Custom Built because I can assure you that it wont have been.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by EricG1793
    OK, a few things to say. A Dell that's only a few years old only has a 1.06 ghz processor?! I do realize of course that computers evolve so, so fast but that's a bit slow even for a few years.
    NO, that is quite spot on infact...

    We were held at the 1 Gigahertz benchmark for a short while before the newer celeron cores came out with allot more pins. Most computers you buy in shops now are still only 2 Gigs, even my friend bought a bundle board and that shipped with an amd chip of 2 gigahertz.

    The latest CPUs are onlyu just over the 3 Gigaherts mark, so I think that your assumption that for a few years old, is out of date itself.

    The p4 system I have thats 2 years old is only a 2.66Gigahertz Intel celeron CPU in it, so is my system old and out dated?

    I just dont see why people have to instantly throw out their older machines because they percieve them as redundant technology, its because your told so by these manufacturers that you start to think like a "Throw away" society and is also why these companys have been so successful by selling you the idea that your being left behind so you go out and buy their whizz bang machine only to find that its no better than the last one you had albiet faster at being crap.

    Only real world option is to bespoke build so that you can upgrade from time to time and not waste your money on buying a system that only intended to give 12 months service and isnt upgradeable (in real terms).

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Frankfort, KY, USA
    Posts
    6,167
    I'm aware that it wasn't necessarily built at some huge building with HP on the front; I'm not misguided. Perhaps I should have said "built by" or "built through" HP. I did select the memory type (I prefer AMD), the amount of memory, the type of screen, graphics cards, the type of wireless and bluetooth cards, and other little things. Sure, it wasn't "custom built" according to your definitions, but for me, in a city where Wal-Mart is the big electronics chain, being able to select any of the options is a luxury.

    Has anyone used the Sony Vaio? I had looked into them, but hadn't heard of anyone actually using one.

    KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    6,276
    For many years clock speed was the main selling point for CPU's, the higher the clock speed, the better it was. There are many other factors involved though, because if you can get a CPU to do twice as much work per clock cycle than another CPU, then for the same clock speed, the first will be better. AMD CPU's for the past several years have been much slower than Intels offering, but have been much more capable (not counting the latest Intel Core CPU's).

    Intel came back with a much better processor based on different architecture, and completely crushed AMD's processers, but notice that while the highest clock speed before was 3.4 GHz, it's now 2.93 GHz.

    Clock speed isn't everything, here's an article that compares modern CPU's with that of older generations, all clocked at 2.4 GHz. The performance differences are quite huge.

    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/26...rtz_battle_uk/

    I do suggest that you read the whole article, but for those who want to skip straight to the results, here's a link for that:
    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/26...uk/page13.html

    And yes, the newest and greatest processors are quad core core and dual core, but for the most part the tests are single threaded, which means the extra cores don't count for anything. You can see this because the quad and dual core chips score exactly the same, for example on MP3 and OGG audio encoding. For MP3 encoding, a Pentium 4 takes almost twice as long.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harrison
    For many years clock speed was the main selling point for CPU's, the higher the clock speed, the better it was. There are many other factors involved though, because if you can get a CPU to do twice as much work per clock cycle than another CPU, then for the same clock speed, the first will be better. AMD CPU's for the past several years have been much slower than Intels offering, but have been much more capable (not counting the latest Intel Core CPU's).

    Intel came back with a much better processor based on different architecture, and completely crushed AMD's processers, but notice that while the highest clock speed before was 3.4 GHz, it's now 2.93 GHz.

    Clock speed isn't everything, here's an article that compares modern CPU's with that of older generations, all clocked at 2.4 GHz. The performance differences are quite huge.

    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/26...rtz_battle_uk/

    I do suggest that you read the whole article, but for those who want to skip straight to the results, here's a link for that:
    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/26...uk/page13.html
    Just helped a friend build his first machine, an AMD job in a 939 format, clock speed is 2.03 Gigahertz yet is miles faster than his Intel celeron 2.66Gigahertz machine. Ram type and speed are same, HDD speed are same...
    Last edited by Stephen Philbin; 05-04-2007 at 04:15 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles