www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Which is the ultimate PC?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Voodoo

1 10.00%
  • ABS

3 30.00%
  • Alienware

6 60.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Which computer is the ultimate?

That would be because his (out dated) AMD is better than your (out dated and bottom range) Intel. The Celeron is basically a Pentium 4 with less cache. Cache is onboard memory for the CPU, if it doesn't have enough then it has to use the RAM, and there is quite a severe time waste in doing so, as the RAM is many times slower than the CPU cache. With Intel CPU's the lag is actually a bit higher than with AMD CPU's since AMD moved the memory controller to the CPU from the north bridge with their 939 socket processors.

Why did you go with socket 939 instead of socket AM2 anyway? In fact, why didn't you go with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 CPU with a P965 (or G965 if he only needs onboard graphics) motherboard? Using socket AM2 (or socket 775 with an Intel Core processor) would allow the use of DDR2 RAM, which is somewhat faster than DDR.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\
    Like all these major branded PC's, nothing is built by them its built for them from cheap labour in Tiawan, Japan & China as well as a few middle eastern countries. So dont be fooled by what these companys offer as Custom Built because I can assure you that it wont have been.
    Heh heh... my laptop shipped out of Shanghai, China!

NO, that is quite spot on infact...

We were held at the 1 Gigahertz benchmark for a short while before the newer celeron cores came out with allot more pins. Most computers you buy in shops now are still only 2 Gigs, even my friend bought a bundle board and that shipped with an amd chip of 2 gigahertz.

The latest CPUs are onlyu just over the 3 Gigaherts mark, so I think that your assumption that for a few years old, is out of date itself.

The p4 system I have thats 2 years old is only a 2.66Gigahertz Intel celeron CPU in it, so is my system old and out dated?

I just dont see why people have to instantly throw out their older machines because they percieve them as redundant technology, its because your told so by these manufacturers that you start to think like a "Throw away" society and is also why these companys have been so successful by selling you the idea that your being left behind so you go out and buy their whizz bang machine only to find that its no better than the last one you had albiet faster at being crap.

Only real world option is to bespoke build so that you can upgrade from time to time and not waste your money on buying a system that only intended to give 12 months service and isnt upgradeable (in real terms).
    Your system's two years old and has a 2.66 Intel Celeron processor. But the other one we were talking about was only one year older and had less than a third that speed.

Oh, no, hate throwing away computers (Unless it's a Dell; show no mercy for them or sell them to some "sucker" who is loyal to that company!). At the beginning of this thread I was talking about our old ABS. It's seven years old, and it still runs fine. What happened is we attempted to upgrade it from Win. 2000 (which was already upgraded from '98, so we don't abandon our computers after a couple years) and it failed. It couldn't connect to the Internet for some reason because the ethernet card wasn't recognized by the computer so it couldn't activate Windows, and... Windows died. So we decided that the computer had been through enough and bought a a new desktop (against my better judgment from Dell). In my spare time for the joy of it I was trying to get that computer to work. I figured out how to delete the Win. XP partition and to install Windows 98 through a command prompt through the Windows 98 startup disk. This is a relatively simply task, but hey, I'm fourteen! And when '98 was back on one of the CD drives wasn't working but after a while it just worked again. It took a long time, but I didn't do anything, the ethernet card just started working too so it's a completely functional computer again. Except for the fact that we took the Sound Blaster sound card out of it and put it in the new desktop (because the new Dell doesn't have the digital audio out port...) and now it doesn't have one. We had also added RAM to the computer a few times. But that computer had been transported around a lot, from a couple of offices, in cars a few times (and even in the back of a truck once) and the hardware was never hurt by that. It's at its well-deserved retirement at my grandfather's simply for Internet now. And because it's ol' reliable and it's an ABS that's why I voted for ABS in my poll. Also ABS seems to give you the best configuration for the money.

And another system... I've talked about this one a few times in various threads... is an IBM (yes from the IBM days) ThinkPad 600X. It contributed to the fixing of the ABS by being the only computer in our house capable of making a Win. 98 startup disk. Generally a laptop's death, from what I can tell, is when the hard drive dies. People either are too lazy to replace it or the drive is extremely hard to replace so they just get a new laptop and forget about the old one. The ThinkPad tells me that the hard drive was manufactured April 24, 1999. That means that the hard drive is eight years old as of a week ago and it still performs relatively well; however I think it's about time for a wipeout of the hard drive and a fresh Windows installation because it lags during startup and coming out of standby and other times within Windows occasionally.

IBM ! Stop swearing...
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

IBM ! Stop swearing...
    What about IBM? Is it the ultimate PC manufacturer? And who's swearing? Are you sure you have the right thread you're posting in?

It may be an acronym for something derogatory in whatever languages \\.\ can speak...
    IBM != the ultimate pc manufacturer, if you want the ultimate, you get 15 thousand and build it yourself.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa.

... but what about \\.\ saying "Stop swearing..." when nobody's swearing? I'm kind of confused here....

IBM...
    may be an acronym for something derogatory in whatever languages \\.\ can speak...
    get it?
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa.

No, we don't. International Business Machines.

Believe it or not, three letters can have more than one meaning across 6500 languages.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Quote Originally Posted by the tree
    Believe it or not, three letters can have more than one meaning across 6500 languages.
    Oh, amazing... I nnever would have guessed that.

Well anyway I'm just going to forget the mystery of "IBM" and go on with the Voodoo's, the ABS's, and the Alienwares.

... so many people are posting in this threads. But why have only four people voted in the poll?!

Well I for one would never consider purchasing anything under those three brand names.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Quote Originally Posted by the tree
    Well I for one would never consider purchasing anything under those three brand names.
    Why not? Expense? You've never had experience with them before?

In general they come across as over the top and appeal to the childish notion that bigger is in some way better. I don't play video games much at all so I don't have any need for much memory, let alone independent graphics memory.
    I'm much more concerned about whether the hardware has free drivers and that it should be relatively easy to put new hardware in when I feel like it. Actually, Alienware is pretty good for the latter but I still don't see the point in getting every single piece of hardware at the top-end when I just don't need it.
    In terms of what you get for your money, Alienware isn't all that expensive, but it comes coupled with being someone who owns an Alienware computer which has issues for me when it comes to going out in public.

Thread Information