dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Keyboard Beeping

Unhappy Keyboard Beeping

I have an old Dell Latitude CPX, it worked fine, but one day the keyboard started beeping with every keystroke. Now, every key that i press brings an identical beep that's coming from the speakers. It's driving me insane!!! ive looked all over the keyboard options and accesibility for the reason, and i havent found anything that changes it!

Help, please

There are a couple reasons why it may be doing it. The joystick (rubber nub) in the middle may be causing the mouse to shoot across the screen. If so just remove the rubber nub and that should sort it out.

Or it may be the 4567 problem your experiencing. A wierd thing with thinkpads, dells, etc is that there are certain key on the keyboard where if two or three and pressed in a row it will start your keyboard beeping.

If it isnt alerting you to anything fatal turn the beeps off. Right click my computer and select properties, select the device manager tab and then open up the device manager.

Here you will see all your normal devices, now select view at the top then select show hidden devices. Now it will have expanded a group called non plug and play. There is one near the top called beep. Double click in to it and press stop on the service. Then on the drop own underneath choose disable to stop the service from starting up again. Click OK and close all the windows and you'll be free of beeps.

Smile beeping keyboards

thanx for the help
    really appreaciate it

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron and I am getting the beeping also with every key. I did disable and stop the beeping in the steps you outlined but the beeping wont stop. It only stops when I mute the computer.

Please help it is driving me crazy.

Sorry i havnt had much chance to respond, been very busy at work. So is it beeping through the audio speakers when booted in to windows? Usually it would suggest on the hardware side an error with the keyboard itself, motherboard or power connection. On the software side it would suggest an error or conflict that may not be visable or noticable outright.

To determine if its hardware or software it would be handy if you could try a different operating system. Linux can come in handy as you can download a live cd off the internet and then boot it from your cd drive. If the beeps continue then you know its hardware related. If it doesnt beep then it will be software (operating system) related.

This is my favorite linux distro, dreamlinux live cd. Just select a download mirror and then once complete use sonic/nero/other dvd burner to burn the image to a blank disc. When you restart and boot from the cd dont worry, it wont affect your HDD or lose any of your data.
    http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/download.html

Good luck and post back to say if its still beeping under a different operating system or not. If it isnt then error logs, etc etc need to be checked to fix windows and if it is then hardware might need to be replaced probably starting with the keyboard.

Hello,

My name is Richard; I am part of Dell's Online Community Outreach group. I wanted to comment on the described possible hardware issue. A quick way to test for that is to run the Dell diagnostics which is included with the computer, on the Drivers and Utilities cd. If you do not have that cd, the diagnostics software can be downloaded from our website at http://support.dell.com/support/down...=19&l=en&s=dhs.

Regards,
    Richard B
    Dell Online Community Outreach

Get out, please.
    I think tech support is a waste of money on the companies part, while there are so many forums available to discuss problems openly.
    There is also no point to create a diagnostic tool when so many exists already.

To those with beeping keyboards, are any keys stuck down or depress abnormally?

Quote Originally Posted by boxxertrumps
    Get out, please.
    I think tech support is a waste of money on the companies part, while there are so many forums available to discuss problems openly.
    There is also no point to create a diagnostic tool when so many exists already.

To those with beeping keyboards, are any keys stuck down or depress abnormally?

Good suggestion, I didnt mention it because it seemed obvious but sometimes its the most obvious thing, like mashing the keyboard with your head and permantly sticking a key down, yea i know how that one feels, key prints on the forehead do look groovy though. Drinks and bodily fluids are really bad for sticking down keys. Trashed/fried a keyboard in my youth (and stained a ceiling) before with the latter.

Anyway from a different viewpoint in response to the dell guy, I think its good a company is making such an effort for home diagnosis and trying to help exsisting users. So many companies sell stuff then dont want to know you *cough motorola* and others that have a good name but decide to make really inferior products in the past few years stealing off honest customers *cough hp*. I mentioned to my g/f i was pleased and suprised at the good customer service from dell actually trying to contact exsisting users.

The only laptops i have that are still in use are a ibm thinkpad (x21) and dell latitude (c510). Dell laptop has only needed repairing a couple times and the ibm never has even though its the oldest. Ive got a hp (thankfully under warranty) and in under one year it has nearly 20 faults or so, i remember the days when they used to use quality parts.

Anyway in the laptop department in future i would only use ibm/lenevo, dell or toshiba as those are the only makes i consider to have true quality and durability.

K so I have the same problem he did except that my space bar only beeps when I hit it while on windows live messenger. Also whenever I hit enter to send some sort of text it leaves a '/' right after. Any ideas as to what is wrong?

I accidentally uninstalled "Beep" instead of disabling it. The beeping will not cease, however. How can I fix this?

Thread Information