www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: SEO and Site Please

Arrow SEO and Site Please

This is the first site I develop with SEO in mind so please let me know how the site looks on that aspect as well. Site is not finished but mostly done.

To be reviewed: SEO, Looks, Usability and Performance

All Suggestions will be considered.

Here is the link: http://reunionlistings.com/

Thank You!
    "Some day I'll be there.
    In the mean time, I'm trying."

Going pretty well....waaaaaaay too many keywords. I'd also turn the sounds off in your flash. It's fairly distracting and can be a nuisance when people are listening to music and such.

Thanks wolverinegod, we'll take that into account.

I couldn't edit my post so I decided to post a reply. The review board had us change our domain name to something that did not include reunion in it. So we had to settle for this www.resort-listings.com

So for review please follow this new link.

Thanks.
    "Some day I'll be there.

I'll be honest. I live in the Orlando area and when I am looking for something local online I see many of these sites, and they all look alike. Why not try something that is different and not so stock looking?
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Hi LeeU, Thanks for your reply.

Reunion Resort requires certain color pallets, fonts, logos and images to be used to market their community, so there’s not much we can do. If one wants to market the community, the marketing material needs to adhere to their policies.

But I would love to know what you mean by “different”, that way I might be able to use something like that for other sites. I'm currently building a site to market vacation villas in the Disney area. Have you seen something, maybe a site for another state or community, that you could point me to?

Thanks
    "Some day I'll be there.

You've definatly got a lot of keywords in there, which is going to be good for SEO. A few things which may cause problems with some search engines are:

You've used a lot of tables to create the layout, using div's is cleaner and uses less code. It will also reduce the size of your CSS.

Your CSS styles are included at the top of each page, if you include them in a seperate .css file it only needs to be downloaded once and is then cached, which will result in faster page loads and less code for the search engines spiders to crawl on each page.

The flash header wont be much use to search engines, as most wont attempt to read it. Could you perhaps create the menu and header text in HTML, and then have the slideshow in flash? You may also want to look into swfObject for embedding your flash, this will prevent the 'click to activate' warning in IE

Your pages arent valid XHTML - for example, this one

As a personal preference, i'd make all of the url's lowercase

Performance wise the main site was good, converting to div's and putting the css in an external file will make it slightly faster too. However this page took about 30 seconds to pull in all the data - it seemed to be loading it from another server...

Hope this is of some help!

You've got too many keywords. I also suggest not repeating the same ones over and over. A few search engines blacklist metadata like that.
    http://www.techknowsys.com/Search-En...cklisting.aspx

Another thing: shorten your description to two sentences, max. The description is for the user, not just SEO. Descriptions that are too long will be truncated by search engines, leaving only part of it visible for the user when trawling through search results.

Lastly, move all the javascript and css to external files -- also move the <title> to right under the <head>. Some search engines only go *so far* into your coding during indexing. All that extra stuff just junks up the code for the indexer.

I also agree about the tables to divs suggestion. To supplement that, use Semantic Coding. That puts your content into outline form, allowing search engines a framework for indexing, instead of haphazardly doing it.

Good Luck -
    KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Quote Originally Posted by metaxlog
    Hi LeeU, Thanks for your reply.

Reunion Resort requires certain color pallets, fonts, logos and images to be used to market their community, so there’s not much we can do. If one wants to market the community, the marketing material needs to adhere to their policies.

But I would love to know what you mean by “different”, that way I might be able to use something like that for other sites. I'm currently building a site to market vacation villas in the Disney area. Have you seen something, maybe a site for another state or community, that you could point me to?

Thanks
    Actually, that's the problem. I haven't seen anything different. When I google "real estate hotels Orlando," it all looks the same, for the most part. What I mean is just that it doesn't look like it was taken from a standard template. Maybe go for something completely different, not so boxy and predicable. I know it's hard with what you're offering but there should be something that says, "Wow, let me check out this product!"
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Thread Information