www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: A background image & Frames. Easiest way to make the pieces fit?

A background image & Frames. Easiest way to make the pieces fit?

Hi,

At the moment I'm working on a site which employs frames (and it's the first site I'm doing with frames and even quite a time since I built a site) and there is a background image supposed to be on the entire site.

Now with frames you have the problem where each frame needs a small part of the image to make up the entire image. I got pretty far with Frontpage and Photoshop, where I make a screenshot of frontpage along with the frames. I used layers in Photoshop and that way re-cut the image to pieces. But given the fact that I'd like to use my frames without borders it's quite hard to make it fit exactly...

Is there any program can do cut the image automatically, if you'd specify frames and sizes? Or eventually, if that's not possible, is there any tricks or advice any "pro's" could give? Or is this kind of job really a pain like it's causing me now?

Any reason why you are using frames? If it is to help keep a certain section and make it easily updateable, using some type of includes, server side includes, ASP includes, PHP includes, etc.

You might try adding the
    Code:
    border="0"
    to your frames code, but for all intensive purposes, I would reconsider using frames.

Well, first of, I need a textframe in the middle of the page. The textframe should be easy updateable. And given itīs the site for a band and none of them are that much into site-building, it's pretty much the easiest to tell em which html file they should update. And I'm not that big into PHP and stuff... I know some flash and html, but that's about it.

And since I can't use frames in a "freeform" way I pretty much need a load of frames to have a frame in the middle of the page to have it "floating" in the middle.

A 2nd frame would be a frame where buttons would be to navigate the site. That frame would be somewhere under the "header" and above the textframe.

I eventually will try to post decent screenshot of the site as it is now (in Frontpage) if that'll make everything clearer.

Why not use an iframe?

Quote Originally Posted by Centauri
    Why not use an iframe?
    I heard the word once... any programs which would or wouldn't allow usage? I find it quite odd... frontpage never states something about iframes (but it could be me).

Even with the iframe thing... there's still the problem with the backgroundimage. But i'll see into the iframe things

An iframe CAN be used in a "freeform" way just like any other element, so you would not have to worry about the background at all.

Cheers
    Graeme

In Frontpage to insert an i-frame, go to Insert - Inline Frame.

Thread Information