www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: how to start screen reader?

how to start screen reader?

Hi

I am not sure how and where from to start doing screen reader. to use CSS or something different? I have thought that I will copy the standard website folder and paste it into new folder so that I make them like screen reader, is it wrong?

Which screen reader is better with images or no images?

Hope to hear from you soon

That all depends on how you've coded your site. If you use a table free, CSS-based layout, then you'll have to do very little work to make it screen reader ready, assuming you've used semantic HTML. Can you post a link to your site? If not, can you post the HTML of one of your web pages?

You can add a style sheet that only screen readers can read using this snippet of code:
    HTML Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="speech" href="path/to/file.css">
    The styles you place in that style sheet should only be read by screen readers, however I'm not aware of any screen readers that support Web standards properly in this area. The best thing you can do is use table-free layouts, and semantic HTML. Mark up headings as headings, lists as lists, body text as paragraph text, etc. And make sure the headings in the document describe a natural hierarchy of information. Do not choose an H3 tag over an H1 tag because an H3 tag displays the font size you want. The markup is irrelevant for style. Choose the HTML tags that best describe the data on your page, then use CSS to style it. If you need more tags purely for styling, use DIV tags to encase block elements, and SPAN tags to encase inline elements, then assign class names or Ids to the DIVs and SPANs.

More on CSS Media Types: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/media.html#media-types

Thread Information