www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Nested Table Positioning

Nested Table Positioning

I have a single celled table which is 100% width and height. It is there because I want a border around the contents of the 2 tables nested inside the outer.

My problem is that I would like one inner table positioned at top-centre, while having the other positioned centre-centre.

The whole page is for an intranet page that will always be full screen but at different screen resolutions, hence the requirement for a pretty border around the screen, a table with a title and a couple of paragraphs of text at the top, and a table containing a dynamic menu of links in the middle.

I have tried apllying CSS position styles, but they dont work. The defalt html settings over-ride them. Is this because they are inside another table?

I have a feeling that I souldn't be mixing tables with CSS but would be grateful for any help.

Thanks

I don't exactly understand what you are trying to do, but why not apply the border to the body tag and skip the extra table?

A picture would definitely help.

Either that, or an example layout page that works at a particular resolution and doesn't need to resize.

I probably put in too much informatin before, all need to do is to find a way of positioning tables in different places in the window.

I tried using the background-border but the border is placed around the outside edge of the window, whereas I wanted it to be inside the edge by a few pixels.

Thanks

You should go all css instead of trying to use css to alter what is really a table layout. Nesting tables really should never be done, the table element should be used solely for organizing data in a table format not for layout. You can mix tables with css but I dont think using a nested table is a good idea. If you look at my site. www.clanknights.vze.com you will see that I used tables to controll an iframe that would not respond properly to css, making that a hybrid layout so yes it can be done but you will not see any nesting. why not put your tables inside a <div> and use css to position the <div>

or throw the code at us and see if any of us can make anything of it...
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

It's ok, I have it sorted now. I did what you suggested and used the <div> tag. CSS positioning works now.

Many Thanks for your help

Thread Information