www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Response.BufferOutput

Response.BufferOutput

Here is my issue. I have a legacey asp page that used response.buffer = false to display the data as it was being generated instead of waiting for the entire page to load to display the data.

Well i have ported this report over to .net and now the report does not display anything until the entire page is done loading and this takes a little while. I would preferr flush the data to the screen after each record to give the user the appearance that the report is running faster than it really is.

I have added both reaponse.buffer and response.bufferoutput = false to my page load sub with no such success. I had added a couple of response.flush 's on the my page as well but still the same output, wait for the entire page to load.

Can anyone give me some information on this please?

What is the code doing?
    Look in to the System.Threading class. Maybe you can run some of your code on other threads to speed up the initial load time.
    Depends on what the code is doing.
    ----------------------------------

Ribeyed,

I ended up fixing the stored procedure. It was reading from a table that had no indexes so i added indexes to a couple of the tables and it took the time of the query and report from about 10 seconds to instant load.

So while this is not an issue im still courious about he response.bufferoutput. In asp i used the response.buffer and response.flush to display a progress bar or even a "Please wait......" message to the user while the page loaded. Im just curious to see if the same thing can be accomplished in .net.

Thread Information