www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Is a PC or a Mac a better computer?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • PC

6 60.00%
  • Mac

4 40.00%

Thread: PCs vs. Macs

My question is this. I am getting ready to purchase a new computer and I am trying to decide between Mac and PC. The question is "Is Vista stable enough to rely on for anything software, new add hardware?"

PCs vs. Macs

Hello everybody!

A few weeks ago I made a thread with a poll in it about PCs vs. Macs. It was just one person and I arguing about which is better so somebody locked it. But now I want to bring it back again. So which is all-around better: A PC or a Mac?

Now, I don't want to go off topic here. Obviously we're not comparing a Dell to a Mac. (A Dell stands no chance even against a Mac...) We're simply comparing the broadest category of PCs vs. Macs.

I lean towards PCs because 1. My school is made up entirely of PCs, mostly Dells, IBMs, and HPs. So if I had learned all about Macs and suddenly went to school with PCs I'd be completely lost. Oh, just go for a little discussion here... one of the teachers has five Macs in the room. And whenever you go on them they're SLOW, SLOW, SLOW and it has problems connecting to the school network and printing. They can't even take my flash drive, which is an extreme inconvenience. Okay, going back to why I favor PCs. 2. You can do more to keep them running fast; Macs simply slow down after a while and you can do nothing about this; you can't defragment, or similar, on a Mac, or Disk Cleanup, or similar, to free up files and boost performance. 3. You can't access as much on a Mac as you can a PC. Macs just shut you out on what's going on and makes assumptions as to what to do when something comes up and tries to run or install.

Again, we're comparing macs and PCs, not Dells and Macs, Lenovos and Macs, or HPs and Macs.

You cant upgrade the hardware, at all, ever. A pc can be givven more ram, better/bigger CPU/graphics card. One peice of a mac goes, the entice comp is pitched. The ad campain... If you frequent this forum, you've already read my rant. Software wise, they're are fewer choices available, because people who use macs are "cool" and dont know jack about how the thing works, aren't gamers because that's "nerdy" and macs come with everything that the average user would need. internet browser, IM client, word processor.(plus a ton of frivolous junk that just takes up HDD space.)
    The only redeeming quality to mac is the lack of viruses, but thats primarily because of the unix base, they have a secure foundation to biuld upon.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa.

Quote Originally Posted by boxxertrumps
    You cant upgrade the hardware, at all, ever. A pc can be givven more ram, better/bigger CPU/graphics card. One peice of a mac goes, the entice comp is pitched. The ad campain... If you frequent this forum, you've already read my rant. Software wise, they're are fewer choices available, because people who use macs are "cool" and dont know jack about how the thing works, aren't gamers because that's "nerdy" and macs come with everything that the average user would need. internet browser, IM client, word processor.(plus a ton of frivolous junk that just takes up HDD space.)
    The only redeeming quality to mac is the lack of viruses, but thats primarily because of the unix base, they have a secure foundation to biuld upon.
    Yes... I saw your rant in the other thread today. We should give the Mac a chance for one thing, though. At least the "frivolous junk" that Apple puts on is full software that's halfway decent. On a PC you don't get as much junk but half of the junk is trials of junk. But overall it's better with the PC.

Oh, and I can tell that that this thread gets you very excited... you were making typos because you were typing so fast on your rant!

Depends on what you are using the computer for. The software that can be run is far more important than the hardware you are running on as long as the hardware supports the software.
    Stephen

I just thought of another thing. PC stands for Personal Computer. A Mac is simply a Mac. See what I'm saying? personal computer. Meaning that people can afford personal computers, but Macs are so expensive that they're not "personal." Kind of an interesting thing to think about.

PC properly means a Personal Computer sold and manufactured by IBM running a derivative of MSDOS, in reality it's generally used to mean something running a derivative of MSDOS.
    Most people can't afford them whatever definition you use.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Said it before, say it again... Macs, inflexable, poor array of support and titles... PC, take your pick of OS's, add ons, upgrades or build your own. Multi platform archetecture over fixed and ridged design any day.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

I'm surprised that this thread seems to have died so soon....

Thread Information