www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How To Fix This Small IE Rendering Issue

How To Fix This Small IE Rendering Issue

if you view this page in firefox it looks great to me. however, if you view it in IE 7 you will see the top/bottom padding is too large around the <HR> tags in the menu. ive tried to fix this up in CSS but i cant seem to get the paddings to show the same as in firefox. can anyone show me how to fix please. thanks!

Someone may come here and give details or you can google for it but they differ on where they use margin/padding. I just don't recall the details.

Seems more like a way to advertise your site here, but will let admin decide that. Correct some of these errors first:

HTML Validator result
    ----------------------
    http://www.therichpom.com/version2/index.htm

line 10 column 58 - Error: character data is not allowed here
    line 31 column 26 - Error: there is no attribute "TARGET"
    line 31 column 155 - Error: there is no attribute "BORDER"
    line 31 column 309 - Error: there is no attribute "ONCONTEXTMENU"
    line 91 column 529 - Error: end tag for "SPAN" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this
    line 91 column 367 - Info: start tag was here
    line 91 column 536 - Error: end tag for element "SPAN" which is not open
    line 96 column 73 - Error: required attribute "ALT" not specified
    line 99 column 42 - Error: end tag for element "BR" which is not open
    line 105 column 76 - Error: required attribute "ALT" not specified
    line 108 column 17 - Error: there is no attribute "LANGUAGE"
    line 108 column 29 - Error: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    line 143 column 177 - Error: document type does not allow element "A" here; missing one of "P", "H1", "H2", "H3", "H4", "H5", "H6", "PRE", "DIV", "ADDRESS" start-tag
    line 143 column 247 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "java"
    line 143 column 247 - Error: general entity "java" not defined and no default entity
    line 143 column 251 - Error: reference to entity "java" for which no system identifier could be generated
    line 143 column 246 - Info: entity was defined here
    line 143 column 254 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "security"
    line 143 column 254 - Error: general entity "security" not defined and no default entity
    line 143 column 262 - Error: reference to entity "security" for which no system identifier could be generated
    line 143 column 253 - Info: entity was defined here
    line 143 column 272 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "invisible"
    line 143 column 272 - Error: general entity "invisible" not defined and no default entity
    line 143 column 281 - Error: reference to entity "invisible" for which no system identifier could be generated
    line 143 column 271 - Info: entity was defined here
    line 143 column 345 - Error: end tag for "NOSCRIPT" which is not finished
    19 errors / 3 warnings

Ron

hello dude

before you jump to any mistaken conclusions...

1) It aint my site. So why would I want to advertise it?
    2) Every time I post a question on here I am told it is much easier for people to answer the questions if they can see a web page online as an example. Hence this is what I have done.

I read your post last night several times, -I don't have IE7 so I cannot see the problem, thus, am of no help. You did post this code for help earlier with another problem for which I provided one possible solution although you seem to have used another method to resolve the issue of content appearing below I do recall fixing that navigation to be an "unordered list", which would give you greater control of how it appears all-browser, vs. wrapping each link in it's own DIV ("div-itis"). If you're going to do it that way... why not wrap the "<hr>"s in their own DIV, also? Seriously... if vertical spacing here is dependant upon the DIVs you are using, not using DIVs for a related element would make the spacing be 'off'...

Myself, I'd just not use "<hr>" at all, but try to use an existing border or something although problem there would be that the border-top and border-bottom would be 100% the width of the container whereas <hr> could/might be 90% or 80% (adjustable width), which is what I seem to be seeing here. Maybe explicitely state in the STYLE section something like hr {margin:0; padding:0;} and see if you're picking up some default margin or padding on this...
    Last edited by WebJoel; 05-06-2007 at 08:07 AM.
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

Thread Information