www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add Forums to website

Lightbulb Add Forums to website

I'm using front page for my website. now I want to add a forums section to my web site, I want to create one myself, I dont want another web site to serve it or create me one to link to. I want total control, templates are nice but I cant find one. Help!?..

youre gonna need PHP and maybe mySQL for a forum, not html.

Check out phpBB.

Ron

A forum such as this one is the product of years of development by a team of scripters. It's fairly sophisticated software. Odds are that unless you're very experienced with all clientside, and at least 1 serverside, language, as well as database creation and SQL, and you have a very long time in which to do it, creating one yourself probably isn't a viable option.

So my advice is similar to what is posted above. Search on free forum software. You'll get a great many returns. I'm sure one of them will suit your needs.

Thumbs up Add Forum to a Website

My recommendation is phpBB.
    There is a good webiste for phpBB - http://www.phpbbhacks.com

Enjoy,
    Website Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    A forum such as this one is the product of years of development by a team of scripters. It's fairly sophisticated software. Odds are that unless you're very experienced with all clientside, and at least 1 serverside, language, as well as database creation and SQL, and you have a very long time in which to do it, creating one yourself probably isn't a viable option.

So my advice is similar to what is posted above. Search on free forum software. You'll get a great many returns. I'm sure one of them will suit your needs.
    Our club Magiccitymustang.org would like to create a forum with this similar template that you guys are using which I seen in many different places? May I ask where can you obtain or how is it created? Any leads would help, I been asking those forums admin but they haven't got back to me. Thanks

Add Forums to website

Hi,

Are you meaning to phpbb ? (http://www.phpbb.com)
    My recommendation is to install version 2.

At phpbbhacks (http://www.phpbbhacks.com) you can find many templates, graphics etc. for phpbb forum.

Enjoy,
    Create Photo Album on your Website

Maybe I need to put my links in big bold and colored text (see post #3) as most seem to be recommending the same type forum.

Ron

This forum software is vbulletin, which you can get at vbulletin.com. IT's not free, however.

I would Recommend mybb. it's easier to theme then phpbb and some features are on it that phpbb doesn't have.
    http://ongata.com - Community Graphics Design!

There are some good Q&A forum SaaS Solutions Out there, very easy to add a forum

I just wanted to mention that there are also very good SaaS solutions out there, that allow you to setup a Q&A forum in just a couple minutes (such as Answerbase.com and GetSponge.com, although I probably recommend Answerbase given their credibility and the clients they serve) and that will allow you to not have to worry about security updates, new features updates, etc since SaaS allows the service to take care of all that for you.

Since traditional forums are pretty much a glorified directory structure, a lot of people consider these Q&A systems the next generation of forum software. Forums can get a bit toxic after awhile, since you have members that just shoot the breeze back and forth so the content isn't extremely valuable and it takes forever to sift through to the good stuff. The Q&A format provides tools to identify the good answers to questions and keep them high on the page right under the question, so your other visitors/users have a positive experience.

I would check out Answerbase.com first since they have a few good brand names under their belt, and they have pricing ranges for pretty much any size site.

Try this

very nice solution for mini forum - http://www.minibb.com/

suggest phpbb as open source.

Quote Originally Posted by stimp View Post
    I'm using front page for my website. now I want to add a forums section to my web site, I want to create one myself, I dont want another web site to serve it or create me one to link to. I want total control, templates are nice but I cant find one. Help!?..
    i suggest vbulletin. you pay 200-300 dollars but then you have the most popular forum software plus technical support which believe me will save you thousands of hours in the long run in comparison to trying to figuring out stuff when using open source software - not that open source is bad but it requires you to know more coding as there is no tech support, all support you will get is from forums and that can be more time consuming

Thread Information