www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: SSI Question

SSI Question

In the process of creating a multilingual website I have placed language-specific pages into subdirectories of directories in the root called English, French etc. On most of my pages I use an SSI include directive to incorporte a menubar at the top of the page

Before I went multilingual all of my subdirectories were in the root directory with a virtual path pointing to each one of them - I am doing my local testing using Abyss. Under that scenario this

<!--#include virtual="/includes/logo.html" -->

worked perfectly. However, now I have multiple includes directores - one inside each language directory. I an set up a virtual path to each language directory but I am not clear how then I access files in a subdirectory of the language directory. Setting up virtual paths in the server to subdirectories ineach langauge would get very tedious, not to mention the amount of work I would have to do keeping nearly identical bits of code functioning.

I am pretty sure there is a simpler and more elegant solution but I am cannot see it. I would much appreciate any suggestions.

Try removing the leading /
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    Try removing the leading /
    Thanks. In the meantime I had discovered that what was required was

<!--'include /en/includes/logo.html -->

for the includes and relative paths to the menu item links specified in the form

../menu/file.shtml

Don't know if this is Abyss specific but SSI seems to be very picky about precisely how you specify file locations. Am I likely to have any trouble trying to replicate my directory structure on a real (shared) server and still use my file location specifiers?

Thread Information