dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Starting out as a web developer

Starting out as a web developer

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and have a few questions concerning my intended journey into the world of web development. Your help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I studied a accounting/finance in my undergraduate and having worked in the industry for 2+ years I have decided to go back to school. I will be pursuing a master degree in computer science and would very much like to focus on web development. However, I have been looking at my curriculum and noticed there is not much coursework surrounding web development.( 3-9 credits max)
    If anyone could guide me in the right direction about where I can get my hands dirty in the web development world it would be greatly appreciated. How and where would I start as a rookie?

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Hey Jamo!

It seems that you're new here, I am as well (matter of fact I just created my account a few minutes ago).
    I was a computer info systems student at a criminal justice school. I didn't know what I was going to go for when I graduated to be honest. I thought I was going to be a 'programmer', but I'm not sure which kind.

So when I was applying for internships, I got this web development position. My first web dev internship was really really bad, I didn't learn anything from it. It was a volunteer position and noone was there to teach me, so I just quit. The only positive thing about that internship was it improved my resume and it also gave me a headstart on what kind of career I want to pursue.

My second internship gave me a LOT of experience.
    When it comes to web development, you can either choose to be a Front End Developer, or a Back end Developer. The third option is a Full stack developer (you do everything), and you get paid alot of money for that.
    I prefer being a front end developer because I'm more of a 'creative' guy. I'd say study HTML, CSS - Bootstrap framework --> Very important for responsive websites, Javascript/Jquery, and a basic understanding of Php and MySQL just so you can collaborate efficiently with backend developers.

Start by studying from youtube videos or codeacademy.com.
    I didn't know ANYTHING about web development when I had my internship. I learned it all on my own + a few help from my coworkers.
    It took me about a month to get an idea of what I'm doing.

best of luck!

Thread Information