www.webdeveloper.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Web-Related Careers

Very informative post thank you

I come from a programming background (have my 2 year degree in programming) but I am looking to finishing my 4 year degree focusing on web design. What are some things I can finish my degree in that would help me along the way?

Doing computer science is not really an option at this point as it would take me 3 years going to school full time for me to finish that degree. I do work a full time job and will have to do online/night classes to get my degree.

Thanks for the help.

Wink

Hey,

Such a nice information and exiting information about web related careers.
    I have heard about web related careers in internet.

Thanks a lot !

Thank you so much for this post!

I just started in web application development, when my several years experience are that of a web master.

I'm finding it pretty challenging so far, as I'm working on a very established solution. This has me wondering if I'm in the right place. I really appreciate the info, cheers!

just read this thread after i wrote the post and posted it...

holey shyt... i think im born to be a web designer... i think im gonna have to go through each language and master it all... its gotta be dun... im a freak lol i know..

i dont nkow if im underestimating my skills or not :S im so ****ing confused ive gone into engineering but i could and should be doing this... addddddvice.... ok im gonna post wat i wrote befre lo

to do web development... basically ive graduate in a field which I find interesting but I find creating websites more of an interest for me.

I have bits and bobs of knowledge about html, i can read a page and roughly tell youu what is what... possible mistakes...

i know little css ... well its internal or external just with coding it into the website properly... then its using divs and classes properly i kknow i need to spend mroe time here..

but i dont know the likes of xhtml, php, mysql, java, actionscript, c, c++, c#, so i was thinking maybe if i goo to uni part time and did web development i can get up to a standard where i myself would be able to create dynamic websites at a great level and speed.

i have had a few website in nthe past... but manily using templates... and picture based ones... but i learnt the server side of things...

i am fairly excellent user at computers... better than that joey that thinks might know it all cos he knows what happens when he types paint in run ... vista you;ll just get a error...

so yea give me your advice people... i wantto create websites for people in nwhich they caan use cms... and i can completely customise it for them too...

also how much money have you invested in teaching yourself how to create awesome websites? and how much of that haave u made back lol... its either a yes or no questioni i guess...

also i have a huge interest in design... photoshop side of things... as well as 3d design... 3d design being my profession at the moment

advice?

Quote Originally Posted by KDLA View Post
    Webmaster – A Hybrid of the Two

A webmaster can be either a web developer or a web designer. Usually, the webmaster works alone doing both jobs as he or she maintains a website. In addition, a webmaster may be responsible for search engine optimization (SEO), web content writing, and/or marketing.

However, for larger organizations, a webmaster may be more of a project manager, overseeing the work of web designers and web developers. Additionally, the webmaster may be in charge of system performance, usability testing, usage tracking, and other administrative-like tasks.

I hope this information has been helpful.
    Good Luck in selecting whatever profession is best for you!
    KDLA
    This is a very helpful explanation of things, this entire thread, I read it 2 times so far and now beleive that being a webmaster is what I would truly like to focus on. I had created a thread on myself wanting to do web "maintenance" which I am now guessing means webmaster? If so, I would like to ask please, what's the future for a webmaster? Will that job still exist? Will it be in high demand or should someone specialize in either the programming or designing part? Thanks.

You need to know either (or both) programming and designing. More companies, because of the current economy, are attempting to update their websites themselves (by either simple HTML-editing or using a CMS), & only rely on "real" technical experience to develop new elements.
    Perhaps I'm being an alarmist, but that's the trend I see in my neck of the woods.
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Web development careers...

Hi Friends..This is James.The web development is just a kind of process which establishes ourselves in the web market.There are many points the web developer has to keep in mind.
    1. We should have a clear idea about the content of our site.
    2.Optimizing the content
    3 .Planning
    4. Designing the web site 5.Implementation
    5.Adopting SEO Techniques to find your web site in top positions of search engines..
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by KDLA View Post
    You need to know either (or both) programming and designing. More companies, because of the current economy, are attempting to update their websites themselves (by either simple HTML-editing or using a CMS), & only rely on "real" technical experience to develop new elements.
    Perhaps I'm being an alarmist, but that's the trend I see in my neck of the woods.
    I have been seeing this as well. I wouldn't say that this is the result of the current economy, but a result of it's pointless to pay a developer(who can be rather expensive) to change write HTML.

As for Web Development Careers, I wouldn't worry about what you want to go into exactly. Worry about understanding system if you are going into web administrations or project management. If you are wanting to develop code, then focus on OOD and OOP. Do not focus on a single language or system.
    It's truly shameful that I have to tell people that they are asking .NET questions in a classic ASP board. . .

Web Design Techniques..

To success in a web development sector one should know the minimum programming languages like ASP.net,C# etc.and he should have a minimum knowledge about the web technologies and web services.Its always a better practice to start a design after we finish with the detailed content and planning..Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmary009 View Post
    To success in a web development sector one should know the minimum programming languages like ASP.net,C# etc.and he should have a minimum knowledge about the web technologies and web services.Its always a better practice to start a design after we finish with the detailed content and planning..Thank you
    hehe. . .
    C# is a programming language, ASP.Net is a web framework.
    It's truly shameful that I have to tell people that they are asking .NET questions in a classic ASP board. . .

Hi Nice discrimination between web developer and web designer.Most of tye people believe that these two are similar responsibilities,Even though there are considerable similarities between these two your post has made us clear about web developer and web designer.Thank you.

Aspiring Webmaster needs help

Dear Forum,

I want to gain more experience and knowledge about web design and internet marketing. I have a bachelor of arts degree and self-taught in basic website design. I've been working for the family company; web design and graphic design. The website (hollypipe.com) is very amateur and needs to be current, more dynamic and informative.

I want to gain more experience and knowledge about web design and internet marketing. I have a bachelor of arts degree and self-taught in basic website design (fireworks, photoshop, dreamweaver).

-There's an overwhelming number of web-related certifications and degrees. Which ones are most recognized?

-Are online degree programs recommended (i.e. Art Institute, International Academy of Design and Technology, etc.)?

-Should I consider taking continuing education courses offered by the local university (Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/Flash CS 3 : Level I; Web Design with XHTML, HTML, and CSS : Level 1; Web Design Using SharePoint Designer or Expression Web: Level 1, etc.)?

Any other educational recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Woops

Sorry about the repeat, I was in a hurry while posting.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnugent View Post
    Dear Forum,
    -There's an overwhelming number of web-related certifications and degrees. Which ones are most recognized?

-Are online degree programs recommended (i.e. Art Institute, International Academy of Design and Technology, etc.)?
    Really none of the "certifications" is worth the paper it is written on unfortunately (including M$, Cisco, etc.). This is mostly due to inconsistencies in curriculum, use of outdated materials and unqualified instructors. M$ and Cisco certs lost standing due to widespread cheating on the exams. ALL lead to unqualified people with pretty pieces of paper.
    Going along with that... unfortunately there are very few courses offered that are up to date. I teach here in Mexico and if the schools that I am with didn't agree to using professor generated texts and resources, then my classes would be just as worthless as the majority of others.
    Local college courses combined with independent study and an apprenticeship program are probably the best route. Enroll in classes that actually offer something you need and knock on doors of good local web developers to try to get an apprentice position. Most folks don't like the word "apprentice" (especially if they have a degree), but the real world is the best teacher.
    We all have to remember that the field called "web development" is only a teenager and that web technology is in a constant state of change. Some things you might learn in a up to date course this semester might well be outdated next semester...
    ...but stupidity is terminal.

Thanks for the information that would be useful to increase my knowledge about web developer

Thread Information