www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: What company manufactures a superior computer? Dell or HP?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dell

38 46.91%
  • HP

43 53.09%
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The real Hp Vs. Dell battle

The real Hp Vs. Dell battle

I am in a life and death argument with my friends who won't admit that Dell is an inferior computer. They say that because they enjoy defying me and also don't know much about computers so that is easy. They have been tempted by the dark side of the computer industry and waste desk space with their pitiful excuses for computers. I only say that cuz' I'm an HP fan, who hates dell with a passion like no other

I need new arguments to use against them! Why are dells inferior to HP?
    Apart from these I've already used, I need more. Maybe some of these could change your minds about Dell, or improve your opinion of HP.
    -Dell makes none of the computer parts (they use the cheapest stuff they can get)
    ---Ever since Dell was started, they never made their own parts!
    ---HP made the audio equipment for the Disney movie Fantasia!
    ---HP makes more than just computers
    -cameras
    -printers/scanners
    -projectors
    -calculators
    ---HP computers look cooler!
    ---HP also has Compaq on their side!
    ---HP computers have more cool things to add on!
    ---The dell guy was busted for pot!
    Last edited by Sunny G; 07-16-2005 at 10:38 PM.
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

Both sux build your own =)

Never ever get a dell

never get an hp.

all major vendors are bad....

Ditto with Jupac and PeOfEo, Major Vendors suck, and it's a much cheaper and more efficient solution to just build your own system through Newegg.

In contrast to 192.168.1.2, I have a Dell Laptop that honestly kicks ass and takes names, after more than three years of use on just 512RAM and a MicroProc. As it is much harder to build a laptop system, if you're looking for something portable, major vendors are your only solution. I've played with and tweaked a few of both the HP and the Dell high-performance laptop models, and I must say, the Dells are my favorite. The HP laptops I've seen have all had some problem that make them less desirable than the Dells. For example, while both companies high-performance models run REALLY hot, the Dell model disperses the heat through the case while the HP models just get EXTRA HOT around the Processor housing, causing much discomfort when a-top a lap.

In summary, don't argue about how much better one system manufacturer is than another, as your only real hope in getting a powerful desktop is to make it yourself. Also, if you want a laptop you shouldn't , because all of the new models are way too expensive for what they give. Instead, build a full size desktop, save some money, and get a palm pilot for when you're on the go.

-Gorky
    Faster than an OC-48 Line! More powerful than an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor! Able to jump entire forums in a single bound!

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF...

Feeling the angst of a teenage torpor? Visit A to the Power of Two for help/hinderance.

"...and the Lord said to John, Come forth and ye shall receive eternal life, but instead John came fifth and won a toaster."

<pihlopase> Jesus Saves
    <jbroome> pases to moses, SCOOOOORE

I am a tag different gorky. I am getting a low performance lightweight laptop. As light as possible but something that isn't going to be an utter peice of crud performance wise. Just something I can take with me. But my gaming system is of course my desktop. I jus want an actual computer rather than a palm pilot is all.

My friends are not tech-savy. They don't even know the cut and paste hot keys. They of course would not know how to build a computer. This debate involves only HP and Dell. Anything else is not an option!
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

Both screw you... but as for who screws you more... hp.
    Hp makes crappy desktops (pavillion in particular). They use something called an audio riser (iirc) so they can get away with using unpowered speakers. They are real strumpets about onboard video too. They also tend to use other low end hardware, fo rinstance when dell would go with a 1.8ghz northwood p4, I would see hp going with a 1.8ghz wilamette p4 (the wilamette core is just aweful... the low end wilamettes get outperformed by p3s and they only have 256l2 cache whereas northwood has 512). Hp just seems to cut more corners than dell. Dell of course is cheap too, but instead of onboard video, they actually give you a card, yes it is only an old ati radion 6 series card or an nvidia geforce2 or something, but it still beats onboard. They actually give you a sound card a lot of the time too (instead of onboard) and they tend to use powered speakers more than hp does.

But both are inherently crappy.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 06-03-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeOfEo
    Both screw you... but as for who screws you more... hp.
    But both are inherently crappy.
    I have to agree here. I used to work for Dell too. But I'd still go with Dell over HP any day. As for onboard parts? I know Dell does this a lot, you have to customize- which is really easy w/ Dell. If you buy a cookie-cut cheap-o system from Dell, you're going to get what you pay for- that is a lot of on board parts. On board NIC (which isn't bad anyway), video card (crappy), sound card (crappy) as PeOfEo said. HP likely does the same. I've never put any stock in HP's ads about powering Disney and stuff. Any manufacturer can put together an uber system for a well-paying customer- even HP and Dell. Don't assume they're going to do the same for you. I can tell you though, if you're going to buy one of those computers, buy it for the support you're going to need. Dell outsources to India last I knew. While maybe they've gotten better, I know I used to have to work in tandem w/ them (Indian support) and I got hung up on a lot, mis-transferred all the time, and they were just plain rude to me. And I was an employee just like them. Ouch.

Not to say HP doesn't have crappy service... I don't know, I never went there. Dell has gotten bad last I knew- and they're laptop complete care warranty package doesn't count in florida... which is where I live.

Bah, skip them both if you're able. Buy Alienware if you can't build your own. Now there's some cool s****.

------------------------------
    sorry about the edit... meant to hit quote
    -------------------------------
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 06-07-2005 at 10:04 PM.

I have to agree with Kin and PeOfEo. I would also pick Dell over HP. Every Dell I have ever had has been incredibly reliable. Every computer I have now is a Dell. I have never had a major hardware problem with the exception of one Dell which managed to outlive TWO Nvidia video cards. Right now I am running a Dell Dimension 3100 which is nearly five years old and still running as good as the day I got it. It has never been to the shop in its life (Come to think of it, NONE of my Dells have ever been to the shop)!
    I'll never forget the first ticket I ever got--$30 fine for passing on the wrong side of a subway train.

Steven Nichols

I have a dell mouse i stole from my scholl. It never failed me =). Any ways most major vendors dont allow you to overclock which sux. BTW dell mouse are great.

Quote Originally Posted by kin
    I have to agree here. I used to work for Dell too. But I'd still go with Dell over HP any day. As for onboard parts? I know Dell does this a lot, you have to customize- which is really easy w/ Dell. If you buy a cookie-cut cheap-o system from Dell, you're going to get what you pay for- that is a lot of on board parts. On board NIC (which isn't bad anyway), video card (crappy), sound card (crappy) as PeOfEo said. HP likely does the same. I've never put any stock in HP's ads about powering Disney and stuff. Any manufacturer can put together an uber system for a well-paying customer- even HP and Dell. Don't assume they're going to do the same for you. I can tell you though, if you're going to buy one of those computers, buy it for the support you're going to need. Dell outsources to India last I knew. While maybe they've gotten better, I know I used to have to work in tandem w/ them (Indian support) and I got hung up on a lot, mis-transferred all the time, and they were just plain rude to me. And I was an employee just like them. Ouch.

Not to say HP doesn't have crappy service... I don't know, I never went there. Dell has gotten bad last I knew- and they're laptop complete care warranty package doesn't count in florida... which is where I live.

Bah, skip them both if you're able. Buy Alienware if you can't build your own. Now there's some cool s****.
    I have a funny (well to me) story about dell's indian support. My mom runs a dell... (UGH). Her hard drive died. Completely... this thing was dead. I put it in my system and didn't see it in bios and didn't see it in her bios. I even tried the freezer trick. I mean this thing was just fried and dead (kinda weird for a wd to just die like this). But it was under warantee through dell (and wd of course). I called the dell people to have them send out a new one. The guy I was talking to was named Banjo (heh) and he kept insisting that I look for the jumper and clear cmos. I told him that isn't going to do anything and he was just like 'no sir clear cmos' I. I did it and boom nothing... just like I freaking told the guy... after argueing with him a bit about the hard drive being dead he agreed to send out a new one. It is like pulling teeth.

why not just make your own or get a digital star

Well some people dont know how to make thier own or dont want to.

As far as desktops are concerned I go to a screwdriver shop near me.
    There parts are priced fairly competitively and they charge very reasonable
    rates on assembly. My pc rocks and if I want simple upgrades they can do many things that day inshop while I wait.

Thread Information