www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Do you prefer electric stoves, gas stoves, or don't cook in your house?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Electric

8 29.63%
  • Gas

19 70.37%
  • Don't cook

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas stoves or electric stoves?

I was once in a position were I knew that I had enough of a solid career in software engineering which would allow me to take some time off and pursue my second dream job.....as a chef!

I worked as a chef in some fine hotels and bistros and I can tell you this, as an expert in matters of cooking......I have never seen an electric range in a professional kitchen.

Someone said...gas on, gas off, nuff said. Well, I understand that point if it was made years ago. I am unfortunately stuck with electric as I live out in the desert and we have no gas pipeline here, but we do have an electric range that you turn on and it heats to full capacity in about 2 seconds.
    The "gas off" makes no sense, because all gas ranges have a metal conductor base to help with heating and to support the pan, so when you "gas off" it is still hot for some time.

Gas is better simply because it is more natural.

And for those who support electric...do you know how much raw electricity it takes to convert into heat? We are now talking about wattage....that's the thing that costs you a fortune. To convert joules into Fahrenheit costs a lot of money...hence the high cost of running a drier.

Gas on the other end converts to heat with the cost of a single match!

Isn't this like saying: "Which is a better networking platform...Windows or Linux" ?

My two bits!

//erlin
    Design first! Code later!

Gas is cheaper.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\
    Gas is cheaper.
    Depends on where you are. Hydroelectric power is very cheap. Also clean and friendly to the environment.
    The Old Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Sarge
    Depends on where you are. Hydroelectric power is very cheap. Also clean and friendly to the environment.
    Hydroelectric power is cheap?! Maybe I have the wrong idea in my head, but I would think that solar would be the cheapest, however wind power would be the best alternative to burning nonrenewable resources. With hydroelectric power you need to make a dam for the water, purchase all the machinery needed for the water power to actually be converted in to energy, and of course there always has to be some worker around inspecting for leaks, jams, etc.

Wind power probably is the best. Wind is around in the day and at night. The only downside to it is if a tornado happened to hit the area... power surge! And also you have to clear space, but hire somebody to do a one-time job and that's it, unlike hydroelectric power. You can plant grass all around the turbines and hay it.

Solar power is probably a lot cheaper and maybe a lot easier than hydroelectric power or wind power, but it requires more work, batteries for a source of energy for the night, and you have to deal with a place to put the solar panel.

But it seems to me as if hydroelectric power is the best alternative. Correct me if I'm wrong, please; maybe there's a factor that I didn't consider.

Gas every time for me. Instant control to fine-tune what is happening on hob or grill.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibrit
    Gas every time for me. Instant control to fine-tune what is happening on hob or grill.
    Oh, CERTAINLY gas grills are better. What alternative do you have? Charcoal? That's even more dangerous than gas!! And it pollutes. And you have to use explosive liquids, wait for the coals to turn white, deal with juice flaring up down there and burning everything... gas grills are definitely better, but an electric grill is really a joke in my opinion, though. I'm just talking about kitchen stoves in this thread, though.

Yes, My granny used to cook by gas and always cursed my mum for buying an electric cooker. Cakes are better in a gas oven than electric ovens. That much I can tell you having consumed cakes, pies and other granny treats baked and cooked on both stoves.

Gas wins.

Hmmm.... I wonder how it affects taste. Actually I do notice a difference between our Magic Chef gas stove that's as old as I am and my grandfather's 7-year-old Whirlpool electric stove. I don't know if it's a brand quality difference, age difference, gas vs electric difference, but everything tastes better on my grandfather's ELECTRIC stove. I am against Whirlpool products, however it's newer and electric so I prefer it over out Magic Chef.

I got gas... & I have a gas cooker !!!

As for the way in which it cooks, electric is a dry heat and gas is a moist heat as my grandmother used to call it. So cooking cakes by gas always gives good results over electric ovens which are often too dry because too much moisture in the cake has been driven off.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

OOohhh! That last post was my post 100! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!

Granny knows best...

WHAT! Still 100?!!!! Ooooh... it must be because this is the Coffee Lounge....

Gas vs electric stove - don't really cook well enough to notice the difference. I've always preferred electric, but not really sure why. Probably because it's less mess. Our new oven has one of those totally flat surfaces for all four burners.
    Quote Originally Posted by EricG1793
    Oh, CERTAINLY gas grills are better. What alternative do you have? Charcoal? That's even more dangerous than gas!! And it pollutes. And you have to use explosive liquids, wait for the coals to turn white, deal with juice flaring up down there and burning everything... gas grills are definitely better, but an electric grill is really a joke in my opinion, though. I'm just talking about kitchen stoves in this thread, though.
    When it comes to a grill, I wouldn't even consider gas. Ever watch the show "King of the Hill"? The father sells propane, but the family knows charcoal makes the food taste much better. So true.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by wamboid
    When it comes to a grill, I wouldn't even consider gas. Ever watch the show "King of the Hill"? The father sells propane, but the family knows charcoal makes the food taste much better. So true.
    True, charcoal grills make food taste better, but they're just so dangerous and hassle and pollute the environment....

Well, charcoal for my barbecue - but gas for my indoor cooker grill.

Thread Information