dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Do you prefer electric stoves, gas stoves, or don't cook in your house?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Electric

8 29.63%
  • Gas

19 70.37%
  • Don't cook

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gas stoves or electric stoves?

charcoal grills make food taste better, but they're just so dangerous
    Oh, jeez. Yes, people all over are dropping like flies. Lost seven family members just this holiday weekend.
    electric is a dry heat and gas is a moist heat as my grandmother used to call it.
    Talk about an old wive's tale.

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    Oh, jeez. Yes, people all over are dropping like flies. Lost seven family members just this holiday weekend..
    Oh, oh, oh.. I feel terrible. Now the company must be SUED! SUE THEM! SUE THEM! By the way, if it wasn't pretty obvious you are being sarcastic, that could get you in to trouble because if you're sarcastic and people are thinking you're not... that could be trouble.

electric is a dry heat and gas is a moist heat as my grandmother used to call it.

How so? Water vapour is given off in the combustion process.

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\
    I got gas... & I have a gas cooker !!!

As for the way in which it cooks, electric is a dry heat and gas is a moist heat as my grandmother used to call it. So cooking cakes by gas always gives good results over electric ovens which are often too dry because too much moisture in the cake has been driven off.
    Gas is also a dry heat. Otherwise gas dryers wouldn't work.... The flame burns off any moisture.

Oh, jeez. Yes, people all over are dropping like flies. Lost seven family members just this holiday weekend.
    LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMerlin
    The "gas off" makes no sense, because all gas ranges have a metal conductor base to help with heating and to support the pan, so when you "gas off" it is still hot for some time.
    //erlin
    Gas off makes perfect sense. I've cooked with gas all my life, until I moved to Hawaii. Try this, bring a pan of water to a boil, then turn the stove off. On a gas stove the water stops instantly, on an electric stove it keeps boiling.

I am into cooking in a big way and I've gotten pretty good, until Hawaii, then I started burning things all the time (Hawaii don't have natural gas and propane is so expensive everyone uses gas). When you have 4 or 5 things going there are times you want to just turn down the heat on one item, with electric it takes so long it burns. So you have to take it off the burner. Then you concentrate on the other things and you forget to put it back on the burner so it gets cold. So you put it back on the burner on warm but you can't tell how warm it's going to get and end up burning it cause you didn't have time to sit and see how warm warm really was going to get because you are trying to make sure the other things your cooking all turn out.

With gas, you can see exactly how much flame you have, so you know how warm it is. And with gas, when you turn it off or down, it does it instantly.

Also a lot of heat energy is wasted with gas. The flames sometimes go right to the edge of the pot. If you hold your hand over the pot you feel all the heat being wasted and making your kitchen hot. Electric elements direct the heat right in to the pot- therefore wasting almost no heat and keeping your kitchen cooler.

By the way, I just went to boil some water for pasta... a burner wouldn't light so now the kitchen smells like gas.....

LP gas is efficient, clean-burning (whereas here in Canada, the bulk of our electricty comes from burning coal... ju'ever have a 'smog day' in the north east... (humming musical tune from SOUTH PARK: the movie) "Blame Canada!" We have many 'smog alerts' here in the city... had several so far this year and it isn't even summer yet!)

And, -when the blackout hit three years ago... we here in Toronto at my home ate cold food from a can for three days while my father in western New York (whom has a gas-range and two wood-buring stoves, btw), roasted a turkey and had gravy & potatoes. -In the dark or candleight maybe mind you, -but it beat the hell out of the Hormel Mystery Meat a.k.a. "Spam" out of a can that we had....

Myself though... would LOVE one of those 'magnetic resonance' ranges... a magnet when in proximity to the metal pot, causes metalpot to get hot very fast. Remove pot from 'burner pad', you can run hand over stove-top... it is perfectly cool.... Damn if that ain't like STAR TREK (almost)..
    Last edited by WebJoel; 05-30-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebJoel
    Myself though... would LOVE one of those 'magnetic resonance' ranges... a magnet when in proximity to the metal pot, causes metalpot to get hot very fast. Remove pot from 'burner pad', you can run hand over stove-top... it is perfectly cool.... Damn if that ain't like STAR TREK (almost)..
    Who makes them? I know that Kenmore makes one model that's really really expensive, but who else makes them? I'm not really a Kenmore fan anyway.

I think I saw this in DISCOVERY show, -an Aussie programme... so, -I have no idea. I'd still like to have one. I know that the 'commercial model' is a bit stronger than the "general public' one.
    -I wonder though about reaching across stovetop while wearing a wedding band... is there going to be melting gold dripping all over the place..

I have an electric stove. In my neck of the woods, gas is triple the cost of electricity. In winter, it's even higher.

I've got to admit, though, that my stove mostly serves as a storage unit.

I prefer to Gas stoves because its best for cooking but its installation can be very difficult. Creating or modifying gas pipes can be an expensive operation. So i think mostly people like to electric stoves for cooking.

The truth is, when compared on seven different categories, the electric stove wins over gas four times.

Response Speed
    Gas stoves respond immediately when you turn the heat up or down. Electric Stoves are much slower, but can get a boost when you move your pan off the heating element. Even still, gas beats it every time.
    Winner: Gas

Simmering

High-end gas stoves have improved in their simmering skills. But electric stoves give you slow, even and worry-free simmering.
    Winner: Electric

Escaping Heat
    Gas burners produce hot air that flows up and around your pan. That means the room (and your pan's handles) can get very hot when cooking with gas. If you use a pan on an electric stove that completely covers the heating element, almost all of the heat will go into your meal.

Boiling Speed
    In comparison tests, gas stoves are slower than electric stoves to boil a large pot of water. It might have something to do with all of that heat that escapes from gas cookers.

Choice of Pans
    Electric stoves are only heat efficient if you're using pans with reasonably flat bottoms (This is especially true for flat-top stove models). Gas stoves, however, maintain their heat transfer no matter how your pan is shaped.

Use with a Wok
    Woks are the quintessential "not flat" plan. So it's no surprise that woks don't work so well on an electric stove top. Woks are designed for cooking over an open flame. Plus, they're sure to wobble around on an electric stove. Sure, you can cook your stir-fry in a flat-bottomed pan, but a round bottomed wok over a gas burner would be best. Will this decide which stove you should buy? Only if you're a "Stir-Fry Friday" kind of family.

Cleaning
    With a gas stove, you'll need to worry about food stuff getting into your burners. Coil electric burners are easier (but not easy) to clean. But if ease-of-cleaning is a deal-maker for you, you can't beat a flat-top electric stove.

If I have a Solar Energy installed on my house then I'll go for electric stove

Thread Information